College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Maybe Mick can get to Louisville by New Year’s.

1 Like

Still a fan, yeah.

“We’re building a culture, and that ain’t it,” Shrewsberry said in his five minutes and 16 seconds of scorched earth post-game speak. “That’s not the culture we’re trying to build, so a message needs to be sent to some of these guys. If you don’t play hard, then you can sit and rot over there on the bench.”

Play hard or sit. Their choice. Heck, there’s another one.

“I will go and talk to the people in compliance and help you transfer,” Shrewsberry said. “This culture is getting built the right way and if you ain’t a part of it, you’re out. I don’t care.”

The head coach may say he doesn’t care, but he does know. He knows how hard it is to build a culture from the bottom back up. How hard it is to win. How hard you have to play every possession for the chance at success. That his guys don’t know, that’s a problem. Maybe the biggest problem.

“That’s on me,” Shrewsberry said. “Message ain’t getting across the right way. So I gotta be better. I’ll get the message sent across better.”

6 Likes

I might like him even more now!

4 Likes

I was thinking that Shrewsberry is probably going to take a very Beilein-like approach where it might take 3-4 years to get his culture in place and up and running fully. This quote solidifies that opinion.

I am also very appreciative of his tone and message here. Really like how he takes responsibility at the end saying “That’s on me”. Good stuff!

1 Like

https://x.com/latbbolch/status/1737352694476771736?s=46&t=OMxEAgg62bsLI0mWenDZ7w

Do we like this look or no? Do people want Juwan to do this?

UCLA, famously small market team with a horrible owner

4 Likes

It’s interesting to me that Shrewsberry took in, in his 2 years at PSU, 6 grad transfers and a rising senior (who then played a fifth year). There was no freshman recruiting class in his first year.

In his one off-season at ND he took 0 guys with more than 2 years of experience as transfers, and 3 underclassmen, and took 4 freshmen.

Now, I suspect ND’s transfer difficulties aren’t dissimilar to our own, so I imagine that drives part of it, but I’m interested in the shift of approach.

3 Likes

Yeah, if UCLA can’t NIL I’m at a loss

1 Like

Approach might have been “I want to win asap and get out of here” vs. “I’m building something here”

Also he had guys like Lundy who stuck around which made winning earlier possible but that didn’t happen at ND

2 Likes

It is very clearly the difference between a stepping stone job and a job you want to be at seriously.

3 Likes

Maybe. If it means Juwan is also putting in the work behind the scenes with donors and doing more to win over the media, then sure. But if the strategy is this and this alone, then it just looks like pathetic excuse making to me. Case in point, I don’t feel bad for Cronin and assume he has everything he needs to succeed at friggin UCLA of all places.

no. I have no respect for such whining

2 Likes

Supposedly NIL is pretty horrendous there. thats why people think he’s leaving for Louisville

People also think he’s a crappy recruiter, FWIW. There’s also “budget” behind international recruitments.

Anothre good example of recruiting still matters. Being an objectively good recruiter is going to get you way better value per dollar on NIL bucks.

Cronin would probably be low on the value scale.

1 Like

Yo, @BigBoutros what is the deal here?

1 Like

Mad Dog took the wrong job. He should have been a Michigan Wolverine

1 Like

it’s about to get way worse for him though. look at that schedule. he’s looking at a 5-win szn

1 Like

What are Sam Gilbert’s grandchildren doing?

1 Like

I could be wrong and I don’t think he’s a fraud by any means but there’s a stark difference between being a fraud and the new hotness. He’s certainly not close to being the hotness. 5 of the 8 players in his rotation are guys he recruited or got in the portal and had interest in. Saying he will sign transfer papers, or rotting on the bench when you just signed a 7yr 28 mil deal is very easy to say. His highest scorer was a commit to Brey and currently plays 32mpg. If he went to Shrews and said he wants out he may let him do it but I doubt Shrews would like that very much. I agree to an extent it’s refreshing to hear that but blasting the effort is also a reflection on him as a coach.

What a joke… after all that complaining :rofl::sob: