College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Kent State just blew a 5 point lead with 5 seconds left and are going to OT vs our new favorite team JMU

2 Likes

what is this, select * from dope_transfers?

Howard and Georgia Tech in a dog fight

https://x.com/2ndchancepoints/status/1722699816851894642?s=46&t=OMxEAgg62bsLI0mWenDZ7w

This is relevant to tray Jackson

1 Like

Is it though? I don’t even get the argument for Tray having another year.

It is definitely the Llewellyn thing though.

2 Likes

I will be happy when the covet shirts are over. It can be so confusing and skews your perspective of who is in what class. There’s a player on Illinois’s football team that introduces himself as a junior on the scoreboard before games, but he has actually played games in five different seasons. But the football rules allow him to red shirt one year because he only played four games, then they throw out the covid year, then he’s played three full years. So confusing

2 Likes

Might be a hot take but I think it helps the sport. Why not make it easier to get more eligibiiity. Set a really high redshirt threshold for minutes played or something.

Covid year is probably going to graduate more kids, probably going to lead to better basketball.

I also really like rewarding someone like RayJ Dennis or Olivier Nkamhoua with a different opportunity that they never got at their schools after they stuck it out and graduated.

4 Likes

I think the argument is supposed to be an interpretation that ANYONE who was around during the Covid year gets to play 5 non-redshirt years. At which point the argument is that since Tray Jackson redshirted during the covid year, and will have only played 4 full years, he gets a 6th year.

Obviously that argument is just wrong, but that’s why it’s relevant.

2 Likes

But he didn’t even redshirt? But yeah I agree that even if he was granted a RS that year, it didn’t matter. Which is why he played anyways.

1 Like

I kind of agree. Making the sport older is probably the best way to keep up with losing more and more freshman talent to other leagues. Also increases parity.

I gotta presume that 3 game 2021 season was a medical redshirt, or is supposed to be a medical redshirt

It was a late waiver. Or basically, the NCAA ruled that there were no more sit out transfers I think (in part because the year didn’t count). And you can’t play your medical RS games after December.

Tbh, I never went and looked that he actually played a January game… Definitely makes the argument even dumber…

Yeah, he was going to be a sit-out, then all transfers were declared eligible, and he barely got to play anyways.

Yes, get an equivalent of the football rule on the books!

1 Like

My guess for why this hasn’t happened is because there is less “playing to develop” in college hoops. Most teams aren’t regularly putting true freshman into absurd blowouts to get sizeable snaps like Michigan Football does every year. It’s pretty rare that benchwarmers ever come in before the last 2-3 minutes. There’s just less reason to do it in hoops.

3 Likes

Yes this is what I meant, and what has been confirmed is the thought in Crisler. Supposedly even looked over by compliance.

I see Memphis plays Mizzou tonight. Should be an interesting one to keep an eye on for our Atlantis scout.

1 Like

Virginia vs Florida too for Jumpman Invitational

https://x.com/goodmanhoops/status/1723043951328829917?s=46&t=9MMrM6gOVy1pXVWIuEkHnw

Caleb Love going for 50

4 Likes