College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

It’s almost a pretty fun team and maybe the backups can rescue it? I didn’t look at them bc I didn’t know anybody that wasn’t Hoggard or Collins already.

A week ago I did a very unscientific analysis of deleting all of Michigan’s players from RosterCast and adding every Louisville player (this was before the Rooths and Waterman adds) and it ended up dropping Michigan’s overall rank 7 spots. So it seems that Torvik likes Michigan’s roster more (though not a ton) and also that UL’s ranking of #87 (#91 before the recent adds) is being just hammered by their awful 2023-2024.

Credit to @kturnup for the original inspiration to try this madness.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is a big blindspot, I think, especially for a team like Louisville.

People treat these like they are solely based on the players,but I doin’t think they are really.

3 Likes

I also found it interesting that every player lost 10-11 points from their ORtg when going from UL to Michigan. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I didn’t realize people were looking at the ORtg stats :rofl:

It’s what initially led to the curiosity! How could a team with those splashy ORtgs generate such a lousy overall rank?!

How could you forget 127 ORTG RJ Melendez?!

3 Likes

Credit to @kturnup for the inspiration of this scientific exploration

2 Likes

Yes, and credit to @BigBoutros for also being a part of that journey.

Protip, if you are plugging in newly-transferred players using the “Add anyone” section of RosterCast, you must use their old team in order to get a working result.

Sam Walters;Michigan → :frowning:
Sam Walters;Alabama → :slight_smile:

Yeah I dropped the link to Torvik’s explanation up thread I believe and they factor in both the team and the coach, I think?

Which usually does make a lot of sense but that kind of roster + coach turnover team will make things weird.

1 Like

https://x.com/tiptonedits/status/1792731365177532906?s=46&t=OMxEAgg62bsLI0mWenDZ7w

All bids welcome

Here come the lowballs!

Not sure where to put this one, but:

1. It’s wild
  2. What could possibly go wrong?

I for one think leveraging the hell out of college to pay for minor league sports is a great idea! I know we keep saying “there’s so much money” in this stuff, but…this is sort of already showing the seams.

Became aware of this name today: CJ Happy, Milton Academy, Center

CJ Fredrick back for another year at Cincinnati…25 years old when the szn begins

His entire career went south when he left Iowa.

2 Likes

Who’s Villanova hiring as HC next year? Matt Langel?

Neptune out?

Soon enough, it appears.

https://x.com/cbb_central/status/1793337342859600205?s=46

Shulga was a credits thing, I think, though. And maybe they get Wooga, but still rough.

1 Like

wait what? Shulga is out?