College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

my assumption is that with the legalization of NIL, that the former illicit bag of cash is now gone and replaced by NIL deals.

https://x.com/rutgersmilos/status/1787242947718652065?s=46&t=OMxEAgg62bsLI0mWenDZ7w

I’m guessing this applies to transfer portal scouting as well at least on some level

2 Likes

“Alabama, Houston, Notre Dame, Oregon, Rutgers, San Diego State and Texas A&M are all on board, sources said. The eighth and final school for the 2024 event will emerge from a small group that is still being deliberated. The Players Era Festival is not being pitched as a one-year happening, either. Plans are to double the size of the field, sources told CBS Sports, with 16 teams as the target for 2025 and beyond. Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Michigan, Syracuse and Virginia have all engaged in discussions about potentially playing in 2025. If they opt in, they’d be joined by most (if not eventually all) of the schools playing in 2024, many of which have already signed up for a three-year agreement, according to sources.”

1 Like

Well there we are. No idea how this thing is gonna make money??? Just handing out a million to each team is a massive expense.

@goblue8 in heaven again

4 Likes

The tournament will be financially backed by RedBird International Media Investments, a subset of RedBird Capital Partners, a multi-billion-dollar investment firm. RedBird IMI is an investment consortium majority funded by the United Arab Emirates. It is headed by former CNN CEO Jeff Zucker.

Based on this I would say the point is disruption and future gains more than short term profits.

A “what if we can buy our way into an in season college basketball tournament” type of thing.

4 Likes

Looking forward to the annual Riyadh Tip Off in 2026!

3 Likes

I don’t know how many NIL deals in CBB actually yield a net profit whether it’s this case or otherwise.

It’s mostly just people throwing money out there. A lot know they’ll be operating at a loss.

Awesome the oil money has found it’s path

I still don’t really know what the long term play is. Owning the new ncaa super league?

2 Likes

Odd takeaway from the original tweet just looking at the figure (and not diving into the underlying analysis or method). Wouldn’t it be more accurate to say that 3 point percentage is somewhat predictive, though perhaps slightly less than some other indicators? And doesn’t that make perfect sense given what we know about the variability of 3-point shooting?

Still very interesting to see (!), but a strange way to frame the findings.

Yeah I agree the framing was sensational

2 Likes

What’s stopping the Saudi’s, through a PE fund, giving $20 million + a year to a team like Kentucky and basically just owning a CBB team?

https://x.com/jonrothstein/status/1788241393787215992?s=46&t=9MMrM6gOVy1pXVWIuEkHnw

Tony Skinn masterclass

Oh awesome great

What’s master class about securing a road beatdown?

they want financial returns unless some princes are CBB fan

I don’t think financial returns really matter to them based on what has been going on with Liv Golf

3 Likes

https://x.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1788586398942917027?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

4 Likes

Pro sports athletes make tons of money of the field. Jordan famously made far more in endorsements than he ever did from the Bulls. And players do tend to gravitate toward big-market franchises, where they can make more in endorsements.

The reason it doesn’t matter quite as much, overall, in the pros is that they have drafts and trades, in addition to free agency. College basically just has free agency.

This is not at all the same thing. You’re mixing up Gatorade for guys who own 10 dealerships passing a player $100K in a McDonald’s bag so a guy will transfer next semester. That equivalent is absolutely not allowed in any sports league. It is de jure not legal in CBB but de facto that kind of thing is obviously allowed. Which is why everybody was so mad about Burger Gate.

1 Like