College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

They were on probation after the Chris Mills scandal so maybe the budget was stretched?

Been saying it all day

That’s not how it works

Who do you think pays coaches salaries versus who funds NIL?

I do think there’s clearly some overlap as far as saving $33 million which would be paid by boosters and paying a lesser salary that would probably lead to extra coin getting kicked into NIL. I don’t think that’s insane.

a large chunk of AD revenue comes from donation, and some of it can certainly be channelled to NIL.

Shaka at UK? Not a chance

not directly, but I believe there are ways

not really

I’m too lazy to look in depth, but in 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 Kentucky’s AD budget projected about $150M per year in revenue, of which roughly $7M was donations.

page 4, 5th row in the table
total of 27,9m from Contribution

Mark Pope to Kentucky per Rothstein.

GRAB YOUR NITROGLYCERIN PILLS

… I think he might be a pretty good coach?

Kentucky fans have no one but themselves to blame.

Pope gets 0 consideration if he wasn’t an alum.

2 Likes

as noted from contributions…

Budget exceeded actual amounts by $15,045,149
or 35%, as the contribution budget included
$15 million in fund balance donations the
University did not need due to some savings, as
well as exceeding the revenue budget in areas
such as ticket sales, guarantees, parking, licensing,
etc.

that reads like the “contributions” category has significant portions that are not donations from individuals

https://x.com/sethdavishoops/status/1778600080603279674?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

2 Likes

Yeah this might be a case of terrible process that gets rescued by Pope secretly being him.

2 Likes

:popcorn:

get your popcorn ready

1 Like

Pope is pretty disappointing from a coaching carousel madness perspective, though.

2 Likes

Yeah, the carousel chaos stops now. BYU isn’t a job that will keep it going round like Illinois, Auburn, Baylor, etc. would have.

3 Likes

Yeah, how many Mormon head coaching candidates are out there? I assume it’ll be a deep pull of someone we’ve never heard of.