College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

I mean, who can we really say Kentucky has lost because they couldn’t/wouldn’t pay? You may be right, but doesn’t seem to have hit a practical ceiling.

Rick Pitino reunion in Lexington?:grin::grin::grin:

The whole thing at Kentucky was reportedly that Cal just ran his own NIL with his people and shut everything else out.

1 Like

I can’t argue with whatever is reported, I guess my question is if there is any evidence that the quantity of NIL money at his disposal has been an obstacle to obtaining who he wants in any meaningful way. Seems like he mostly gets who he wants?

Of course he does, he’s John Calipari.

I think there are at least questions what the situation there looks like from day one, given that so much of it was ran by Cal. OTOH, there’s a lot of motivation too.

What the whole thing looks like seems to be depend entirely on the new coach IMO.

Yeah, absolutely, I though goblue8 was suggesting that Kentucky had a harder time fundraising for this than Arkansas - I’m just saying they have been and almost certainly will continue to be well-funded. Cal obviously could drum money up, but I assume whoever they hire can do it to, and there aren’t a shortage of folks willing to pony up.

Arkansas has had the money but not been able to attract a similar caliber of player - I assume that will change.

The big difference is that up to now, most of Kentucky’s hoops NIL has been from Cal people not Kentucky people.

So maybe that changes, but it would take some effort most likely.

Kentucky was the most well funded program in the country long before Cal.

• there’s a >95% chance the next kentucky coach isn’t as successful as cal
  • soooo funny that OSU went with dake jiebly when cal may have been available
2 Likes

Yeah, but have you seen the way that Diebler calls timeout? Ross Bjork has and it’s absolutely legendary. You must not have the wherewithal.

2 Likes

Dude knows ball. Respekt it

That could end up being an all timer oof.

You can still like May but if he wants to be successful he won’t do it with a 96th ranked D. I am curious how FAU with everyone returning went from a good D to a terrible one. May is still young and is developing a pedigree. Cal already has one.

they went from 2nd best defense in CUSA to 7th best defense in AAC (by conference games PPP allowed). Biggest statistical change was opponent 2 point shooting got a lot better. In CUSA they lead the league at 46% against. In AAC, they were 11th at 51.5% against.

3 Likes

his substitutions. his strategy. his timeouts. jake diebler is Elite.

3 Likes

Literally does not matter cause Cal was never coming to Michigan cause Michigan would never promise Cal the things he wants to be promised.
Obviously May needs to have a better than 96th defense to be a top 25 team.

5 Likes

Is there a single HM hire that comes to mind (May, Muss, Cal, Kelsey, Sprinkle, Smith, DeVries, Byington, (ahem, Chris Holtmann, ahem) (people I’m forgetting) that is not better than Jake Diebler?

3 Likes

That’s not a good thing. I think there’s a larger jump from AAC to B1G than CUSA to AAC.

I liked Cal - when I assumed May was headed to Louisville. I’m completely happy with May.

5 Likes

is there any evidence that it is even a “thing” worth worrying about? Dusty May seems likely to understand that he needs better teams in Ann Arbor than he had in Boca Raton. He played a tiny lineup at FAU, probably because those were the best players he could get. They struggled more to defend the interior with Johnell Davis guarding the 4 spot because he is not big enough. I think if Davis comes to Ann Arbor, it’s more likely as a 2 or maybe 3 and we will have more size on the floor.

3 Likes