College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

What a wild night. With Oregon stealing yet another bid from the at-large teams, I am going to call it - Michigan will not make the NCAA tournament

5 Likes

so there are no more bid thieves on Sunday, but the choice is already impossible

Have to think Long Beach State winning their tournament helps Michigan’s resume

6 Likes

Dan Monson in his post-game interview:

“Jim Harbaugh always says: ‘who’s got it better than us?’… the answer is Dan Monson!”

2 Likes

It was a truly bizarre moment.

1 Like

Totally forgot they fired him earlier this week.

1 Like

We’re looking at one of the play in game being between 10 seeds. Which is insane.

I’ll bet $5 Wes Miller sues the NCAA to let Cincinnati in the tourney and it cascades into a 96 team field

6 Likes

Grand Canyon vs UT Arlington at 2:00ET!!! THIS IS MARCH

This Grand Canyon team is athletic :flushed:

What a glorious mess today was. Some thoughts and a first stab at a seed list here: Heartbreak City: Bracketology 2023-24: Games through Saturday, March 16 - Seed List Only

More to come tomorrow… We’ve got 15 hours til we know all the answers.

7 Likes

First thoughts after sleeping on the questions surrounding the final cut line: if it were up to me, Oklahoma and MSU would not make this field. Seton Hall and Indiana State seem like better candidates. Very tempted to boot the Sooners for the Pirates.

4 Likes

I think MSU will be in and OU will be out.

1 Like

From your lips to the selection committee’s ears!

3 Likes

Kino Lilly vs Danny Wolf for the IVY Chip is pure cinema

I’m sure most here are pulling for VCU but I’m feeling the Duquesne story of no NCAAT bids since 1977. Let’s go Dukes!

2 Likes

Why Indiana St. over MSU? And does the H2H win for MSU mean anything there? Reality is it seems like a really hard sell to keep Izzo out of the tournament when they beat Indiana State.

Because Indiana State was better Strength of Record and Wins above bubble, to me these metrics are much better at rewarding teams for winning, instead of how much they win by, while still recognizing strength of opponents. If game results don’t matter, what are we doing?

2 Likes

I’m just not overly thrilled with teams with a great record in Quads 2-4 but with a zillion Quad-1 losses. A personal preference around how I would like to see the bubble interpreted.

In reality, I’m still almost positive that Michigan State makes the field, and most bracketologists have Oklahoma in, too, although that one I’m much less sure about. But as far as resume metrics go, Indiana State is slightly ahead of Michigan State there, and MSU has the worst Quad 1+2 record of anyone on the bubble. They just didn’t do a whole lot with their opportunities this year. But, they are the most efficient team on the bubble by a fair margin, and the NET loves them. I doubt the committee will vote to move a team out of the field when they were very comfortably in a day ago. You’d need a lot of people to change their minds in a high profile way very late in the process. This is the psych subfield of bracketology haha

And head to head plays a role, but it’s a pretty small one if I’m being honest. When a team beats another team 2x or 3x in a season, I’m more inclined to use head to head results as a way to break ties, but one home win – and Indiana State led that one for a decent chunk of the 2nd half – is closer to a drop in the bucket against the full “body of work”.

1 Like

All this makes sense and I agree. I’d rather see Schertz and his team in the tournament than Izzo. But can you imagine the outrage tonight on all the shows talking about Izzo not making the tournament and culprit #1 being a team that MSU beat. I see zero chance the committee makes this leap despite what the numbers might say.

1 Like