College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Are there a lot of college HCs that have become NFL assistants? That seems odd to me.

I definitely think you would see the next wave of big coaches (a Danny Hurley or something like that) really be intrigued by the NBA offers they get.

But in reality, only so many guys can get to that point.

Some sort of financial obligation to pay back NIL earnings or something if you bail on it? Some sort of claim on future NIL earnings? Eligibility? Who knows.

I’m just saying that a school could offer someone a 2 year NIL deal at some price, or a 3 year or whatever. Or they only want a 1 year deal and get this price.

Just tie how long you stay at a school to do the deal you sign.

A couple did. A few more interviewed wherever they could. Quite a few assistants jumped to be an NFL assistant citing the climate in college athletics.

This makes plenty of sense in the NFL, but I don’t think many assistants in college hoops – where the primary job is recruiting – would be likely to grab many NBA assistant jobs.

At least not at the rate where it would matter.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/PorterMoser/status/1767358650287284556?t=mFJsxjFk8dPKW5vDEdAwCw&s=19

Is the SEC going to be tougher than coaching in the Big 12?

I don’t see any reason why NIL deals can’t be structured to escalate over time and have a handcuff. Make it rewarding to stay but punitive to leave. Which also protects the player if they get processed.

Seems totally logical and if done right mutually beneficial.

1 Like

Who is staying up for the San Framcoscp vs Gonzaga game?

4 Likes

Nigel Pack’s famous deal was widely reported as a two-year thing so I’m not sure why it’s not happening more.

1 Like

Kansas could be filthy good next year if they build a better roster fit…

Dajuan Harris
Zeke Mayo (South Dakota State)
Johnny Furphy
Liam McKneely
Hunter Dickinson

Sheesh :flushed:

Is Zeke Mayo a player on Trilly’s list per chance? @umhoops

who cares though

3 Likes

Valid

characters

1 Like

Furphy is getting lottery hype right now.

2 Likes

Convinced it’s impossible to build the perfect roster for a big like Hunter

Ah, I didn’t think he was getting mocked that high yet lol

2021 Michigan would like to have a word

3 Likes

Yeah definitely. Somehow Juwan got all the pieces right and did basically as good as you could’ve in 2021, which seems impossible to do watching Michigan the last two years and Kansas this year

1 Like

His last 3 PFs have been Diabate, TWill, and KJ Adams. Playing with just a single 4 that can shoot would probably help quite a bit - put the current version of Hunter with the 2021 team, and they would have been a force of nature.

3 Likes

I’d have settled for a healthy Isaiah Livers. :sob:

5 Likes

Yeah how come every year so far in the Juwan era at least one starter has a major injury at some point in the season.

2020 - Livers
2021 - Livers
2022 - DeVante (didn’t really cost us during tourney LOL)
2023 - Jaelin
2024 - Nkamhoua

Maybe there’s a reason Juwan got mad at Sanderson :rofl: (this is a joke)

3 Likes