College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

I don’t exactly know how much a 20 point loss vs. a 4 point loss would have affected the efficiency metrics — maybe by a point or two? But the margins at this point for ISU are really slim, so I think this smaller margin of defeat could end up mattering.

But I think a good deal of the “eye test” / “leaving a bad taste in the mouth of the committee”-type reactions is overblown. It’s a loss at a bad time, but they still have a decent shot. I’ll crunch the numbers tomorrow, but they’re largely competing with high major teams now, gotta hope most or all of them fail to make deep conference tourney runs.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t call them safe. I’ll take a look tomorrow morning, but my guess is I’ll have them in Dayton. Very good NET, solid metrics, but only 1 Q1 win hurts them. I think a regular season conference title, .500 in Q1+2, and only 1 bad loss has them in by a hair for now… but they’re vulnerable.

1 Like

I’m curious @tony, say tomorrow you woke up and you were the sole person in charge of making the 68 team field. What would be the things you personally would enjoy or look for in deciding who makes it in from the bubble or what would you tweak or completely blow up from the current system to make it how you’d like? Basically I’d love to hear how someone who dabbles in the bracketology realm, like yourself, would change things if even at all

3 Likes

I would pick fewer high major teams from outside the KP top 40.

1 Like

I would pick all the teams that beat @DMB43’s favorite coaches.

2 Likes

Always been a fan of BracketVille.

Has MSU just ahead of Dayton, Indiana State in Dayton.

3 Likes

So MSU wins their first game this week and they’re comfortably in. If they lose it probably doesn’t knock them out but sends them to Dayton pending whatever else happens. Got it.

Honestly, Izzo and MSU are always going to get the benefit of the doubt from the tournament selection process so they have to be firmly out to not sneak into Dayton. Feels like the only way that happens is for them to lose and a few other things happen to hurt their resume AND some bid stealers fill up spots.

I’d say this team’s resume is pretty similar to the Michigan team that got the 11 seed two years ago, FWIW.

https://x.com/chriskarpman/status/1766944836043862197?s=46&t=9MMrM6gOVy1pXVWIuEkHnw

1 Like

He might be the funniest player in CBB. Truly impressive to be dismissed from WVU of all places. And now this. Absolutely outstanding entertainment.

4 Likes

“I’m not going to be so loyal that I betray myself” is an all-timer. Wow.

1 Like

Sounds like a lyric to an emo song.

4 Likes

I believe Jose Perez actually performed with Dashboard Confessional before his foray into college basketball.

1 Like

The Jose Perez experience.

2 Likes

Lotta Illinois smoke there already that I’ve heard

Underwood got pantsed by Krutwig in the NCAA a few years ago and wants his version of Krutwig in Avila. /s (sort of)

2 Likes

Need to dig up some Zyon Pullin receipts. An eight player first team is absurd, but Pullin was f’n legit this year.

8 player first team and a 9 player 2nd team?

Makes sense obviously.

2 Likes

these gigantic all league teams are an epidemic. i dont get it

5 Likes

Big Ten keeps it tight – three teams of five.

1 Like