College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

I’m happy to see this. It looked really serious.

Battle of the Michigan committs

https://x.com/cbbonfox/status/1762900475093856456?s=46&t=9MMrM6gOVy1pXVWIuEkHnw

Auburn v Tennessee in the battle of Indiana’s future coaches?

Oklahoma v ISU in the battle of our future coaches?

George Mason v Dayton in the battle of our future coaches, DMB division?

Too many basketballs happening!

It’s really funny that Auburn spends like 80% of possessions playing good hoops and then one of five times decides to engage the Aden Holloway chaos engine

1 Like

Dalton Knecht coming for Zach Edey’s back-to-back POY awards.

Pj Haggerty gotta be transfer of the year on Tulsa

you know that thing they say about how you should have a phrase you can say to someone so they know you’ve been cloned and you’re the real version? I’m looking at dmb43 right now with suspicion

1 Like

I found Dug’s long lost cousin! https://twitter.com/s_charlesnfl/status/1762889483265998964

1 Like

So…is Cam Christie better than Max Christie??

But are they better than their not-dad Doug?

https://twitter.com/DallasRiffRaff/status/1762883347372445925?t=aiUE3iBa36vqmeoY0dFELw&s=19

It just means more in the Big 12.

2 Likes

Upon further review, it appears I am a victim of Jom Rothstein’s alter ego

Welcome to Jay Bilas’ America

Its insane how good Dalton Knecht is. He was at Northern Colorado and doing very well but not THAT good, he wasn’t even first team all Big SKy! and 2 years ago he was JAG for them. Then in one year at Tennessee he became a consensus AA and is going to be a 1st round pick. I can’t get over it. absolutely insane

4 Likes

It shows what a total gamble the portal is and how much the “fit” or “role” matters. Timberlake at KU was seemingly a slam dunk transfer given how good he was at Townson and putting him on a good team with great surroundings cast. By all accounts he has struggled and overall disappointed. His role is probably too much for him with KUs thin bench and injuries, but his shooting is nothing like before and his scoring is way down.

I keep thinking that the portal is there to fill the gaps in your team, not to find the building blocks to start your team. Hence the dread I feel for Michigan next year

Well Dalton Knecht is definitely a building block lol. So is Caleb Love, Terrence Shannon, and more. You can def get building blocks in the portal if you have money

1 Like

I just think that the idea that “portal guys should only be this or that” is flawed

It’s like saying building around rising sophomores at key positions is a bad idea because Dug, Reed, Thornton and Okpara had bad years.

There are all different types of players in the portal. There are the “sure thing” types like Dickinson or maybe Holmes this year that only a few people can afford.

There are also good players out there who end up way better. It’s not like Tennessee was dropping Dickinson type bags to get Dalton. Or thought he was going to be an AA. No one really cared when Minnesota got Elijah Hawkins and he assuredly didn’t get some massive bag and he’s been one of the better PGs in the Big Ten.

Nick Timberlake is the prototypical “extra piece” and he’s been a disaster.

I just don’t think there are hard and fast rules.

3 Likes

one recipe I tend to like is

• five excellent starters
  • three or four excellent bench players
  • an excellent head coach with excellent assistants
  • excellent support staffers

that’s a decent team

10 Likes

What’s the worst team ever constructed that meets those criteria?

2 Likes

2014 Purdue?

How different would things be in Ann Arbor if we had Shannon?