College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

That Sheppard Hubbard display was high level entertainment.

1 Like

Somebody forgot to tell Michigan Athletics that there was High Def TV in 2009.

1 Like

I can see why he wanted out.

He probably looked around and realized who was coming up.

Dug
Reeves
Burnett
ON
Tarris

Is a pretty good offense.

https://x.com/rowlandrivals/status/1762694892545806790?s=46&t=OMxEAgg62bsLI0mWenDZ7w

This is funny

Lol

To Justin Rowland? None!

For Reed Sheppard? About $6.5 million over 4 years (rookie scale at the 16th pick, last in the lottery) and more significantly delaying the time at which he gets a serious NBA raise by 3 seasons, worth tens of millions if not, if he’s really awesome, like a hundred million.

3 Likes

Crazy that some random kid from Kentucky that grew up in a UK super fan house is now a top 10 pick.

Another funny part of that debate is some UK fan referenced Reed’s dad being critical of all the OADs Cal’s recruited, so he said it’d be pretty hypocritical of him if his son left after one year :rofl:

Laker fans were on the court at the end of game 7 of the ‘88 Finals when the Pistons had the ball down 3. Refs let it go somehow.

But I disagree with him in general. It’s mostly students that storm the court and NBA teams don’t have that.

1 Like

Exactly. Plus, stay at Kentucky and see how everyone turns on you if you have a bad week. Those people are crazy.

I do think there’s an interesting discussion point in that tweet somewhere. I think the recent Michigan Football team is an example of how staying to build the program, win something, and build your future as a historically renown alum has value. In this era when everyone leaves at the first hint of opportunity elsewhere I do think having some long term consideration is warranted. Imagine if Xavier Simpson was in this era and decided or was pushed to transfer after his first year or two, especially with the NIL opportunities that likely awaited him in his later years.

The problem is, top-15 picks are not ever going to fall into that category - especially in basketball. So he’s completely off base with Sheppard for so many reasons. Even in my hypothetical Simpson example, it is really hard to know who those guys are going to be unless they are immediate stars. Guys like Hunter, Edey, etc. are the ones you want to lock up because they will never be top-20 NBA picks. I think guys like Houstan and Diabate would also be in that category for UK’s NIL since they are fringe NBA guys who might not get that second deal.

After last night, Kansas has 6 losses in Big 12 play. The last time Kansas lost more than 6 games in conference play was 1989. That’s all I have to say about that.

6 Likes

Essentially, he would need to be a lottery pick to leave. He’s projected as a lottery pick in a very weak draft so he’ll take the NBA contract and get to the 2nd one sooner.

Still, play at Baylor and at Houston too.

that’s right: we’re going to win the national championship

The football analogy is fine but you still have to stay 3 years. I mean JJ started for 2 but if you’re locked in for 3 years at least there’s an appeal to stay 1 more and graduate. In basketball i imagine the % of players who leave after 1 or 2 years don’t return to graduate at a later date.

1 Like

On Sunday Tim McCormick said Kansas was his #1 team in the country and his pick to win the national title. He also said he counts 17 teams that have the potential to win it all.

This opinion brought to you by the author of such opinions as “Laval Lucas-Perry is the best point guard at Michigan since Jalen Rose”

2 Likes

Yeah - basketball is just so unique in that way. Football forces 3 years, hockey is draft-and-follow (my favorite model), and baseball is essentially 3 years as well.

I think one potential future change we could see with basketball is multi-year NIL contracts that are escalating or tied to some sort of milestones. It would incentivize players to stay and incentivize schools to develop them…at least hypothetically.

1 Like

17 teams?!? That’s incredible

He said don’t count out Izzo, 3 great guards, March pedigree. They just need something from the post players.

I was waiting for him to say Laval Lucas Perry is going to breakout finally.

And I just need to win the lottery.

6 Likes