College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

He was the top prospect to Pelton’s stats-only model. He’s gonna have hyyyyyype

Rohde would really be perfect for this team right now :confused:

1 Like

I won’t ever be over it. Even if he’s trash this year.

No transfers allowed, I’ve already made their videos. :rofl:

2 Likes

Ryan Dunn is a sneaky good one I saw you added. Also, after watching the Dillon Mitchell vid I’m so confused how he was a 5-star out of high school. He just jumps and dunks?

Halfway to being a five star if you can do that.

2 Likes

Izzo getting 4 years out of him while playing out of position should be a federal crime

3 Likes

which three of these candidates are your favorites?

Who was the last Michigan player to play under 19 USA?

Hardaway Jr right?

I didn’t remember that but you’re right.

Others on that team included Keith Appling, Patric young, Jeremy Lamb, Doug Mcdermott, Meyers Leonard

US got 5th. Jonas Valuciunas was MVP

I just don’t see Clingan in the lottery. He moves well for his size but he’s not that mobile in comparison to NBA bigs.

I fully expect Clingan to be awesome but I do think he is taking a big risk by returning.

The older a great college big gets and the more tape there is on you, the more opportunity for you to get picked apart.

He 100% would have been taken probably in the late first and I don’t think there’s a lottery jump coming for a true center. Now the door’s open to fall into the Dickinson/Timme/Tshiebwe/Bacot cycle IMO

1 Like

What does falling into that cycle depend on, though? Like it can’t really be on the court production because Edey obviously had the most productive year we’ve basically ever seen.

Feel like it’ll come down to the movement stuff and if he’s 80% as productive as we think he can be while playing 30 mpg, there’s more upside there than those “career bigs”.

Like there’s a reason that those other guys were never viewed as pros and Clingan is.

I agree a bit but his pure size and movement sets him apart from those guys, who were never considered possible FRPs at any point. He’s more Kessler to me who just had a really good rookie year and was in school for 2 years.

1 Like

I agree that’s the very top end of where he could end up at

Yeah I just think sometimes guys look like there’s no downside when they play a 15 minute role and it’s all “imagine how great he’ll be now”. If Clingan struggles to defend in space in a larger role and/or doesn’t shoot threes at all again and 51% from the line, I just wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up getting bit there.

I looked it up cuz I was curious but in the last five seasons a total of two college centers that played more than one season in college have been taken in the first round. Walker Kessler was taken 22nd (actually not a horrible comp for Clingan but probably a best case scenario) and Udoka Azubuike was taken 27th both coincidentally by the Jazz.

I just think it’s more likely that Clingan is next in line of this trend than it is he has a unicorn season and is a lottery pick when the NBA just doesn’t take those guys anymore

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I’d probably say that I expect him to be really good and play a lot more minutes and end up as a late first round pick.

This year, I feel like he probably would have been teased as a FRP and gone early second.

Feel like he has to be a decent NPOY bet but I haven’t seen odds.

The other thing with the Kessler/Clingan comp is Kessler wouldnt have been drafted after his freshman year at UNC so returning and transferring was a necessity. I think even if Clingan wins NPOY it’s unlikely his NBA stock improves beyond late first projections. All downside IMO to returning (especially after you just won a natty) unless you really just want one season as an alpha and/or care about the whole college legacy side of things. I respect it and am looking forward to watching him but just seems like a risk for him personally

2 Likes

I do agree with this, in terms of thinking about NBA draft placement potential exclusively (of course, I think the kid should do whatever he wants at the end of the day). I’d guess he’ll be fine and still slot in somewhere in the 20s, but there’s a lot more downside than upside to returning if you’re a guy like Clingan.

1 Like