College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Doesn’t seem that complicated. The decision is now: “Take Love or not?”… The decision was “Take Love or recruit someone else we like better?”

it seems sort of quaint to me that people will bring up Love’s “baggage” as a potential disqualifier while half of a 1 seed’s roster was implicated in a murder and nobody really GAF, and like 2-3 of those guys are going to be first round picks.

That stuff just seems like a 5th to 6th order concern for most places, well behind “can he play?”

On the academic thing, it really seems that Love’s problem mostly came down to the 60 credit thing, right?

I just think the conern around Love probably had much more to do with being a bit of a ball hog and taking bad shots than it did with anything else.

Sure, still think it paints a different picture in hindsight. Don’t think the narrative at the time was necessarily Arizona, Gonzaga, Texas, etc aren’t going after Love solely because they’d prefer player X who is better.

To me, the narrative pushed by many was Love is a basket case, team cancer, whatever who nobody wants near their program.

I think it is as much how he plays that falls into that baggage. He’s not necessarily viewed as a consensus winning player. He had locker room issues. Those things matter regardless of what happened at Alabama.

Don’t know the specifics of his transcript but I did hear of several schools that wouldn’t pursue him because of his transcripts. So again, every school has different policies but I think there is clearly a subset of schools where he’s a no-go.

Just feels like semantics to me. “Not going to pursue him because he might be those things” to … well there’s nothing else less so why not.

1 Like

5 Likes

I’m willing to bet quite a bit that adding Caleb Love to a roster that already has Max Abmas and Tyrese Hunter will only yield negative consequences

4 Likes

Will be exquisite lulz tho

2 Likes

LOL he’s back, folks. Don’t worry ASU fans. Frankie isn’t entering the NBA draft. Everyone was anxious to hear his decision

7 Likes

NBA Feedback: Who are you?

6 Likes

I’m still a Frankie fan. I think he’s got the juice

2 Likes

What kind of juice

dunkfruit juice

5 Likes

I think Frankie has the potential to be one of those fun college players you see stick around and have some highlight moments during his career - both as an individual and with his team. He’s a fun player with a ton of athletic ability. If he puts in the work to smooth out some of the wrinkles in his game (shooting, facilitating for others) he could be a really impactful college player. I’m thinking about all of the multi-year college PGs who have strong careers and help their teams hang banners or make the dance.

The concern is that he always seems to be looking at the next shiny object and thinks of himself as an NBA pick already so it isn’t clear if he has the focus to develop his game and help his team win now. Additionally…I’m not sure if ASU is the place for him to achieve those highlight moments.

1 Like

ASU has a very strange roster this year. “Guard U” only has Frankie and… Adam Miller. Plus a Southland JAS up transfer and a freshman as depth. Other than that their roster is mostly PFs and Centers.

Like for real they have more PFs than we had last year.

Does not look like a team that’s going to get them playing remotely good offense this year

1 Like

is there going to be a weirder back court in the nation than Frankie Collins and Adam Miller

4 Likes

Max Abmas and Caleb Love possibly. But short of that, probably not!

Unsure why Hurley got an extension. He’s cracked the KP top 50… once!

Though he’s managed to finagle his way into the backend of the tournament 3 and a half times. All 3 real times they were in the play in game lol. 2-1 in play in games I guess is extension worthy. I forgot he played his old team in the tournament and got his *** kicked

2 Likes

Wasn’t there some scuttlebutt near the end of the year that both ASU and Hurley were not happy with the arrangement? Maybe that was a leverage play for more cash. Because it does seem like an awkward fit on both sides

Yes that was the scuttlebutt. then he signed an extension. maybe it was an extension for recruiting purposes to kick the van down the road, I don’t know the buyout clauses on either side.

For a school like ASU my assumption was that sneaking in the tournament saved his job. The devil you know basically…

With Frankie and Miller in the same backcourt, they’re going to need to assign a chaperone to make sure they both get on the bus after games and don’t immediately transfer or declare for some obscure pro league. :slight_smile:

1 Like