Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

That’s got to bug him. He’s gone jacketless basically his whole career and now must feel so encumbered.

5 Likes

I went to the game vs Washington on Friday. Cavs dominated my (hapless) Wizards for most of the game. Cavs nearly choked the game away (App State-style), but they were clearly better for most of the game. I am not sure Beilein is following his mandate, however. Lot of Tristan Thompson in that game, which can’t be the GM’s plan. Trade that guy (if you can).

Tristan is in a contract year after 4 years of stealing money…and playing like it.

1 Like

Holy cow. I’m sure this made Beilein happy.

1 Like

Cavs had the Sixers beat. Got a great look for Kevin Love late in the final seconds and he missed the open three.

I also happened to be in the house for this travesty of nba basketball! Very impressed with how feisty JB has these cavs early on

1 Like
5 Likes

This was predictable, but there should be some sort of rule that says if your team sucks you don’t get to bitch about a coach who focuses on film and fundamentals.

16 Likes

1 Like

sigh Poor JB. Not surprising. He deserves better. If Juwan weren’t looking so competent I’d be very depressed.

7 Likes

Yeah very predictable, especially from a terrible roster that was bound to lose a lot of games no matter who coached them. Beilein’s quirks will only work if the players buy in. And many of their key players don’t seem like the kind of guys to take to coaching well, especially when they are losing. Note: you’re not losing because he calls a cut a “polar bear.” And just because a coach calls certain things quirky names doesn’t mean he doesn’t know what he is doing and isn’t ready for the NBA. Quit making excuses, act professional and learn to be coachable. It’s just players looking to blame someone else for their struggles rather than looking in the mirror.

7 Likes

Wow just read the article. It has anonymous quotes from at least 3 current players!

“Guys drowned out his voice, and when guys start searching for the next in line for help, I believe you’ve lost them,” one Cavs player said.

“The little things become big things, and sometimes very big things,” another player said.

“Our assistants are definitely more prepared for the NBA,” a third said.

1 Like

At the very least, terminology is something he has to compromise on and learn. Not a reasonable ask in my mind to make players learn new terms for the same stuff.

2 Likes

Beilein took what is probably the worst job in the NBA but obviously he just wanted to coach in the NBA. They have a terrible roster with no hopes of being good anytime soon. They will have to kill it in the draft the next couple of years. I know they will have plenty of cap room soon but no top free agents will go there.

It wouldn’t stun me if he coaches in college again after he inevitably gets fired by the Cavs.

Seems like he probably does that for a reason and isn’t just changing the names to be cute. Maybe so he can call out cuts on the fly in game without telegraphing what guys are supposed to do or could be another reason, but I’m sure there IS a reason.

3 Likes

I mean couldn’t there be some give and take there? That’s definitely NBA vets complaining about that. Is it really that hard to call things something different? I mean yeah Beilein should adjust, but at the same time I don’t think he could be expected to completely overhaul everything in one offseason

I think he’s retires when he’s done there. That’s what he seemed to imply in the things he’s said. But then again he implied he was going to retire at Michigan :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

The reason is because he came up with the concepts on his own without learning from anyone else. So he came up with already existing basketball concepts (or invented in a parrelel way) without knowing the actual name and made his own name.

1 Like

I mean, when you’re an 8 year NBA vet and have two hundred terms of various offensive sets, cuts, concepts, etc that are consistent across every team in the NBA… It seems like it’s a waste of time to have all your players relearn the name for everything that happens in basketball for no benefit except the ease of the coach.

2 Likes