Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

Interesting. If there is literally no other reason besides that’s just the way he likes it then I can understand some frustration. Those quotes aren’t from Beilein himself though so I don’t know if it’s 100% accurate.

Either way, if college kids can learn it, it seems like professionals who don’t have to spend extra time studying and going to class should be able to learn it. It’s still a bunch of excuses for being a bad team. I’m not surprised that players like Sexton, Thompson, Clarkston, Porter, etc. may not be the most coachable. I would have predicted it from day 1, which is why it was a bit puzzling that Beilein chose to leave for THIS NBA roster. Beggars can’t be choosers though.

1 Like

JB deserves better than the Cavs and Gilbert but it was his decision to go.

I guess what I’m saying is I get that Beilein should make adjustments and I’m sure he will given enough time, but at the same time I think it’s pretty lame to be going to reporters and complaining about your coach 20 games in because his terminology is weird. It’s mostly a result of bad players who’s time is short in Cleveland.

3 Likes

Unlike a couple people I definitely wanted him to succeed, but it’s hard to be sympathetic given how obvious it was that this was a horrible situation to go into. Given how the NBA is a couple wins and they could be back on board as quickly as they got off.

6 Likes

There’s a little more nuance than that. He wanted to coach in the NBA…in physical proximity to his family. Pistons, yes. He turned down an opportunity in Orlando. Cleveland fit the criteria, and that was clearly important enough given he took a situation with a ton of baggage on it.

1 Like

True, it sucks for Beilein, but it’s also a fact that the power balance is significantly less equal in the NBA. The players are more valuable, they have more leverage and value than the coach. Ultimately it’s Beilein’s job to get the players to respect him and also get the most out of them.

3 Likes

This could be nothing more than players bitching, but could also be the start of something. Just a bad combo for JB of a bad roster and an owner that has demonstrated zero patience. If this is the start of something, this could be the start of a short NBA run.

1 Like

Beilein is a brillant mind that has adjusted several times throughout the years. I certainly think he can adapt again but he knew it would take time, as did Koby Altman, the GM. I’ve always said he’s like a basketball “Rain Man,” when it comes to all the information he has and knows. His terminology is very than most NBA coaches and he has talked about changing his to adapt but you never know how it all works in an NBA practice.

The Cavs have been a dumpster fire since Lebron left. The Cavs’ organization wanted a college type atmosphere and they are getting one with Beilein.

1 Like

I suspected his focus on fundamentals in practice would not go over well with multimillionaires who tend to have rather large egos. I know he didn’t like recruiting, and the NBA allows him to focus solely on teaching basketball. I’m just not sure how much teaching can be done by coaches at that level.

6 Likes

That to me sounds like it would be really grating. OK fine I’ll call a cut a polar bear, but don’t tell me how to friggin pivot (even if you’re right and I ought to be able to do it better).

1 Like

Yeah I feel like a lot of coaches at the NBA level are ego managers more than teachers.

6 Likes

I feel the complete opposite. Just learn the terminology. they don’t go to class. They have no excuse. Beilein is the coach. He has his terminology. Just learn it.

Seems like dudes just bitching to bitch.

2 Likes

I think the issue is that he has no NBA cred and is coming in trying to teach them how to pivot. They’d probably listen to Gregg Popovich lecture them on fundamentals. But JB probably has to earn his chops first.

The problem is that he has to find a way to survive long enough to do that, and until then, he basically can’t be himself as a coach.

1 Like

Sit the guys that are causing you issues. The Cavs players need the PT and the numbers to stay relevant in the league.

1 Like

Thats because they are.

Poor Coach b, I really am concerned for him getting through to the nba players. I know he was done with recruiting and just “wanted to coach” but I feel like he went to a leauge where he will have the least impact and where his skill set will be least used/valuable. Very sad. I’ll be rooting for him to succeed at UCLA in two years.

Never checked out this thread before but just skimmed through it after i saw notifications because of new comments and oh boy is it a wasteland of freezing cold takes at this point. I’m sure the people who made those comments are happy they look like cold takes now, but some people were really acting like Michigan hoops was going to be irrelevant going forward. I think it really speaks volumes about how quickly the Michigan community has embraced Juwan.

2 Likes

Certainly agree, plus the fact the players he has are all sound fundamentally and come from a winning culture. JH has done a great job with the transition and is leading with great passion.

1 Like

Well it certainly seems Love was one of those dudes. Brandon Knight people think was another one.

2 Likes

Love, Knight, and Clarkston are the three that people seem to think are the most likely.

2 Likes