Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

I hope @mgl was being facetious, because otherwise I just can’t fathom anyone that’s watched Michigan these past ten years truly believing such a notion. Did he NOT adapt to Darius Morris’ ball dominance? Same with Burke’s need to be a primary scorer as a PG? Did he not adapt to 2nd year Stauskas being MORE than just a shooter, and instead putting the ball in his hands a ton for pick and roll/pop scenarios? Same with Levert. And did he not then do a 180 the following years and make his 5 man the primary for those pick and roll/pops because Wagner couldn’t be stopped when he got rolling?

If anything, I feel like Beilein EXCELLED at adapting to his talent, which hid some rather glaring weaknesses of his players that later became issues when they turned pro (i.e. - GR3 inability to shoot, Burke’s limitations in setting up others, as well as lack of defensive presence, etc.)

6 Likes

On the other hand pros can use as much time in they want on the gym and only have basketball things to worry about. Also those that make it in the League are either ridiculously talented or very talented and understand/learn basketball things at an accelerated rate.

3 Likes

I totally agree with the “just needs time” thought. Unfortunately I don’t think Dan Gilbert will after two years

Good topic for discussion; not as clear as I thought initially. I mean, last year’s offense was crying out for a coach to draw up more plays for 2s. Beilein’s offense just kept on generating open looks from 3, because that’s what it does, long past the time it was clear that last year’s crop wasn’t going to be able to make enough of them. On the other hand, Beilein did adapt in so many wonderful ways, and it was fascinating to watch. Maybe you would say that he adapted to the general level of talent available to him over the years, but less so to year-in/year-out variations in what his guys really excelled at doing.

I honestly can’t say for sure what I think about this, save for that I’m entirely comfortable with the notion that despite being the rare old dog that could learn new tricks he was also pretty stubborn at times. Humans are complicated.

If you’re not generating open 3s, you’re seriously gonna have problems generating open 2s. Unless you have a dominant Offensive rebounding or post team. Last years team was massively flawed offensively, and I don’t think another offense would have done much better. When Poole was hitting 3s our offense was great, when He wasn’t our offense wasn’t great. That’s a bit of an oversimplification but there’s a lot of truth to it.

3 Likes

I mean I swear to god I watched his first team lead the big ten in three point attempts despite not having a single credible shooter.

I love Beilein, HES a great coach. He’s going to run his offense, and he’s going to ask Cleveland to shoot lots of threes, whether they can or not.

I don’t disagree. I think that, maybe something like 10% of the time in the second half an action drawn up specifically to get a 2 would have been good. You don’t have to wholesale tailor the playbook to the players every year, but I think last year the bricked 3s became a monkey on their backs – you could see the shoulders slump with the misses. As a coach you can still say ``keep shooting they’re gonna go in it’s all good’’ whilst you also dial up just a little more action inside the arc. Just a shift in emphasis within the existing sytem.

In the end the man just won games, the discussion about three’s vs two’s is somewhat valid but there’s not a team in the NBA who is trending toward more two’s. NOT ONE! Three point attempts for playoff teams have never been higher and continue to rise. The biggest asset a team can have in today’s game is on the perimeter…watch as Duncan signs his $10M deal this year!

Lol. His first team was literally Manny and Sims and that is it. We would have been awful regardless of any adjustments made. Might as well just implement your system if that’s the case.

He’s adjusted his offense quite a bit over the years, depending on what the strengths of the teams were and I don’t think that’s arguable.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Exactly. Those teams would have been beyond awful regardless of offense. And John Beilein’s teams shoot lots of 3s because that is how pretty much how all good teams run offense today. He was way ahead of the curb. Not all good college teams do because some college teams can out athlete or out talent you in other ways, but pretty much any other good college offense is at least built on spacing. The NBA has taken it to the extreme, so I don’t really see a problem in him encouraging them to shoot 3s

Last year Michigan’s 3 pt Rate was the 2nd lowest it had been in the Beilein era. So they definitely ran things a bit differently.

I think a few games in people are really gonna miss the wide open layups Beilein’s offense generated.

Is his system that complex, or is it that his idiosyncratic lexicon is hard to pick up?

Beilein’s Cavs had the lowest point total of the day in the league yesterday but also held their opponent to the second lowest point total. Garland and Sexton is a backcourt with a lot of potential but gonna need a lot of refinement.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Patrick Beilein Leaving Niagara

I like Garland in particular. But both of those guys are not only inexperienced, but they are redundant as well. They are both point guards that have very similar games. They are more similar than Harden and Westbrook. Always thought that was a puzzling draft move. If anybody can make it work, though, I guess it’s Beilein

1 Like

I always thought it would be a good move to go super young with the Cavs with multiple options at different positions. Just to put Beilein in a position where he would have more power. “We’ve got two possible PGs of the future. Whichever of you buys in and executes is the one that’s going to get the minutes.”

1 Like

Let’s not forget the also drafted Kevin Porter Jr who also like the ball in his hands.

Worth noting it was the 2nd slowest game so far.

5 Likes

Yeah, with that box score, and knowing Beilein, I would have guessed it was a slow one.

I find this interesting because when Beilein first came to Michigan one of the questions was whether he could bring a more fluid style to a B1G where the pace was dreadfully slow. Halfway through his time in A2 you might have said he had proved his point. . .