Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

1 Like

Iā€™ve been checking in on Beileinā€™s Cavs from time to time. They lost by 42 points last night to the Celtics. They shot 32% from the field, 17% from three, had 29 turnovers and got outscored 37-9 in the 2nd quarter.

1 Like

Holy cow. Beilein must have lost his mind with those numbers.

2 Likes

Daily John Beilein update. His Cavaliers are currently down by almost 20 in the third to a Celtics team that sat itā€™s top 7 rotational players.

More importantly, Carsen Edwards is in Klay Thompson mode. Heā€™s 7 for 8 from three in the first five minutes of third quarter alone. Iā€™ve never seen anything like it.

2 Likes

ā€œYeah, with new offense we are just trying to figure it out,ā€ Sexton said. ā€œWeā€™re not used to anything like this, just pretty much getting up and down playing, and a lot of pick and rolls, a lot of different actions. Itā€™s a new offense, itā€™s going to take time to understand it and thereā€™s some things that we are going to talk to coach about.ā€

Beilein is a perfectionist. He demands much out of his players. It doesnā€™t sit well when his team gets embarrassed and loses by 46 points ā€“ even in a preseason game. Itā€™s tough to accept getting smashed by the Celticsā€™ B Team. Itā€™s why Beilein walked off the podium exasperated and talked through his frustrations with one member of the front office about an hour after Tuesdayā€™s game wrapped ā€“ a good learning experience of what likely lies ahead.

Sexton talking to Beilein about ā€œa new offenseā€

7 Likes

I want to see Beilein have all the success in the world, but I could see this going south quickly if the Cavs get off to a slow start. His system is complicated and requires players to buy in or else they will never learn it. Pros are not as coachable as college kids, particularly with regard to the fundamentals that Beilein loves teaching.

10 Likes

I love John Beilein, but going to the Cavs was a terrible decision from a basketball stand point. I hope that he is content with his decision and has no regrets when heā€™s done. And I also hope he beats the odds and the Cavs make the playoffs once in the next 5 years.

The Cavs as an organization are in a terrible spot. Dan Gilbert is a terrible owner. I donā€™t see it lasting past 2 seasons, even though Iā€™m sure Gilbert promised otherwise.

I donā€™t think the complexity of his offense should be an issue. Not to pros.

4 Likes

Yeah as much as it grated on me sometimes while he was at Michigan that he wouldnt simplify his system to get sometimes the better/raw/young guys on the court, it made sense in college. It is going to be tough road ahead to instill this in NBA guys. He is going to get new guys in and out throughout the course of the season and seasons to come. Also, gotta imagine practice time is going to be even more limited in the pros because there are just so many games.

This is me connecting dots at this point, but if you have players coming to practice exhausted from all the travel and games and wear-and-tear it will be ever harder to implement his complexity. Hopefully some of the more veteran NBA voices around him are making this clear.

I think no matter how it goes, Beilein wonā€™t have any regrets at the very least. But manā€¦ Cavs were about the worst opening there could be. Makes me wish the pistons waited an extra year to find a new HC, and got him instead of the Cavs.

2 Likes

Yeah I would have liked to see him in Detroit, but Iā€™m not sure they have the best roster for him either. Canā€™t imagine Reggie Jackson and Drummond being the most coachable in a complex system. Beilein would need to coach a team of vets who donā€™t have egos and are willing to work to learn his system.

Agreed. Pistons still would not have been great. But man, that sounds a lot better than Dan Gilbert and that Cleveland roster.

1 Like

But Dan Gilbert offered him the jobā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah, all hypothetical here. If Detroit had kept their last coach (before Dwayne Casey) for an extra year, then hired Beilein this summer.

As a fan of neither Iā€™d prefer the cavs roster if I was somewhere for the next five yearsā€¦

2 Likes

Last offseason the Pistons poaching Beilein was an absolute nightmare. This May it suddenly looked heavenly in comparison to what the Cavs managed to do. I loved Beilein so much and loved his press conferences and would have liked that for the Pistons now. But ultimately I care more about Michigan basketball than the Pistons and the NBA, and hopefully Juwan is going to help us all forget about how awful that was.

Maybe once thatā€™s taken care of I can bring myself to be curious about the Cavs or Beileinā€™s journey there, but for now thatā€™s just another team I donā€™t root for.

Must be a tough wake up call for JB to realize thereā€™s more frustrating basketball players to coach than Jordan Poole

9 Likes

Beilein has never adapted his system to his talent, better or worse. He has three decent three point shooters on the whole roster. Itā€™s going to be dark.

Here is a comparison for his move to the Cavs. Itā€™s very similar with his move from Richmond to WVU. WVU was in absolute shambles when he got the job. There were a few holdovers and a bunch of them didnā€™t make it. Just needs time.

His appearance on the Woj pod was very good. He had a much different tone then when he was in college.

1 Like

I take massive issue with this statement.

16 Likes