Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

Lol. His first team was literally Manny and Sims and that is it. We would have been awful regardless of any adjustments made. Might as well just implement your system if that’s the case.

He’s adjusted his offense quite a bit over the years, depending on what the strengths of the teams were and I don’t think that’s arguable.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Exactly. Those teams would have been beyond awful regardless of offense. And John Beilein’s teams shoot lots of 3s because that is how pretty much how all good teams run offense today. He was way ahead of the curb. Not all good college teams do because some college teams can out athlete or out talent you in other ways, but pretty much any other good college offense is at least built on spacing. The NBA has taken it to the extreme, so I don’t really see a problem in him encouraging them to shoot 3s

Last year Michigan’s 3 pt Rate was the 2nd lowest it had been in the Beilein era. So they definitely ran things a bit differently.

I think a few games in people are really gonna miss the wide open layups Beilein’s offense generated.

Is his system that complex, or is it that his idiosyncratic lexicon is hard to pick up?

Beilein’s Cavs had the lowest point total of the day in the league yesterday but also held their opponent to the second lowest point total. Garland and Sexton is a backcourt with a lot of potential but gonna need a lot of refinement.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Patrick Beilein Leaving Niagara

I like Garland in particular. But both of those guys are not only inexperienced, but they are redundant as well. They are both point guards that have very similar games. They are more similar than Harden and Westbrook. Always thought that was a puzzling draft move. If anybody can make it work, though, I guess it’s Beilein

1 Like

I always thought it would be a good move to go super young with the Cavs with multiple options at different positions. Just to put Beilein in a position where he would have more power. “We’ve got two possible PGs of the future. Whichever of you buys in and executes is the one that’s going to get the minutes.”

1 Like

Let’s not forget the also drafted Kevin Porter Jr who also like the ball in his hands.

Worth noting it was the 2nd slowest game so far.

5 Likes

Yeah, with that box score, and knowing Beilein, I would have guessed it was a slow one.

I find this interesting because when Beilein first came to Michigan one of the questions was whether he could bring a more fluid style to a B1G where the pace was dreadfully slow. Halfway through his time in A2 you might have said he had proved his point. . .

Beilein always played slow, no matter the league. I think the question he faced at Michigan was whether a more “finesse” or “skilled” offense could work in a more physical league.

3 Likes

Yeah and the NBA has been getting faster and faster. I remember reading that the Nash-era Suns would have been the 2nd slowest team in the NBA last year.

Beilein is almost certainly going to be bucking NBA trends this year (not a criticism - it could work! (as much as anything with this roster can “work”).

1 Like

Betting against the Cavs and betting the under every game is my plan. Seems profitable so far.

2 Likes

Yes not sure why the under wasn’t in my consideration.

13 Likes

Love Beilein and the water celebrations. Some of my favorite moments of Beilein’s tenure were during the 2017 and 2018 seasons with the water dumping locker room celebrations

8 Likes

It looks like his NBA players have the same love for him that his college players had! Well deserved! Congrats coach B!

7 Likes
4 Likes