Charles Matthews (Transfer Commit)

4 Likes

Very nice if true!

Updated scholarship breakdown

1 Like

A very nice get for the program and a very pleasant surprise! Go Blue!

One thing that stood out when researching his commit post: his measurables

41.5 inch max vert, 6-6 with shoes, 6-9 wing span. Those are all ideal for a wing.

3 Likes

Wooh. Won a recruiting battle!

Wish he could play this season but, a year to work on his game and learn the system should be beneficial.

Yeah, I wrote this somewhere (maybe in this thread), but with a year in the system and the fact that heā€™ll be in his third year of college ā€“ he should be really ready to make an impact in 2017-18 and U-M will need some impact that year losing Walton/Irvin.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s searchable, Iā€™ll be curious to see how those numbers compare to someone like gr3 to get a sense of what we could expect.

Mentioned on the front page that GR3 also recorded a 41.5 inch max vert. He was about an inch or so taller (and 20 pounds heavier) at the NBA Draft combine though.

I skimmed the front post and missed the gr3 reference, sorry. Thatā€™s really encouraging to see though. Hard to imagine that if gr3 could be a starter that Matthews canā€™t contribute as soon as heā€™s eligible.

This makes me really happy and good work Coach Beilein! Adding an athlete like this is exactly what we need!

ā€¦and our scout team just got a whole lot better for next season. Even though he canā€™t help during games, itā€™ll be nice having him learn the ropes and play some good ball in practice.

Real pumped. I felt good about it at the start when I read it was Xavier and us. Iā€™m really looking forward to 2017. The possibility that our strength could be defense would be great to see.

Poole and Mathews is a great start. Very excited to see how we finish.

Iā€™d be happy with adding Jamal Cain to that duo and then I think the coaches can be picky about a backup pg option.

Interesting perspective from another big ten team and where they stand in recruiting and in regards to Matthews.

Hopefully he spends a good portion of the off year working on his shot. As Dylan said on the front page, if he can get that to even be average he has a chance to be great.

Have watched this kid for years, a superior athlete with great upside. Like you said, this summer can be huge for him and in '17 can be a great player. If we could add one of Wilkes/johns/Bowen, that class is looking pretty special.

Think you could summarize? I get a pay screen

Itā€™s an old article about why Matthews wonā€™t be coming to Illinois and how Michigan would be a good fit (reputation for producing pros on the wing).

I still think donnall might not get that fifth. Seems redundant unless Wagner somehow blew up and went pro.

Program is moving into a good place right now. I expect things to end well for 17