CBS ridiculously early Top 25 (and one)

ESPN way too early top 25 doesn't include UM........

Jeff Goodman at ESPN has Michigan as a 3 seed, so clearly there are some differing viewpoints in the building at ESPN.

Gonna be a long offseason :slight_smile:

UM has some good potential and depth since this years freshmen got some experience that they normally wouldn't have had. But it seems like there are still too many question marks to call us a top 25 team yet. I'd say top 50, top half big ten, but not top 25.

Agreed, need clarity on Levert and/or Brown. If neither, I think it would be a stretch to call us a top 25 team. No doubt better than last year, but not worthy of top 25 in my mind.

what do you think if we keep caris and somehow also get brown? definite top 25? top 15 even?

UM has some good potential and depth since this years freshmen got some experience that they normally wouldn't have had. But it seems like there are still too many question marks to call us a top 25 team yet. I'd say top 50, top half big ten, but not top 25.

Agreed, need clarity on Levert and/or Brown. If neither, I think it would be a stretch to call us a top 25 team. No doubt better than last year, but not worthy of top 25 in my mind.

what do you think if we keep caris and somehow also get brown? definite top 25? top 15 even?

Realistic possibility of Final 4 with both.

I would agree Irvin has begun to make a big leap, and just needs to continue progressing as a dribbler, passer, and defender.

With that said, as I look at the roster next year, I think Levert challenges for first team all Big Ten (right now, I’d say Trimble, Valentine, Eron Harris, Malcolm Hill, Ferrell, Blackmon, and Nigel Hayes are the other top contenders), and guys like Irvin and Walton challenge for second team.

If we had a fourth guy really step up and be a consistent scoring threat - whether it’s Dawkins, Doyle, Chatman, or whoever - that would take a ton of pressure off the big three and really make us a better team. Given the way the year ended, it seems like Dawkins is the surest bet, but it would also be nice to have someone fill that role who can give us some consistent scoring around the basket, whether it’s Doyle averaging 10 a game down low, or Chatman doing it with drives and a midrange game.

Levert is just too big a piece to make any sensible evaluation of our prospects without knowing whether he stays or goes. Without him (unless we hit the jackpot and get Brown), we are seriously handicapped at the 2. If Levert does return, MAAR would be a nice backup at the 2, but if he starts, we’re not in great shape. And to really go a long way (again assuming the absence of Brown), we’d also need Chatman to somehow become the player he was supposed to be. Not terribly optimistic about that, unfortunately.