Caleb Houstan to remain in NBA Draft

Agreed, I don’t think it’s that much of a hot take. Easy to say now that Caleb was up and down but rankings aside Jett looks more ready to me and more versatile.

3 Likes

Come on Malachi Smith and Pete Nance!!!

5 Likes

In response to your opinion here is mine, other players on the bench playing behind Houstan and Diabate could have been getting game experience. TWill for one was greatly affected, no doubt the development of Houstan and Diabate slowed the process for others. In fact we had two freshmen that redshirt on the bench as well, sure would be nice if they had a few minutes under their belts now. If Diabate and Houstan would have been a Chris Webber and Juan Howard in their freshmen year it would’ve made more sense. I’m happy both stopped in at Michigan and wish them the best at the next level. I also hope they appreciate the sacrifice that the other Michigan players and program made on their behalf.

4 Likes

Houstan talk at 30:45

2 Likes

I realize it’s the internet, but man some people really like inventing scenarios to get angry about.

1 Like

The Moussa part (right after the Caleb talk) may have been even more interesting. They say they haven’t heard even one GM saying MD grades as anything more than a two-way contract possibility.

1 Like

That matches what Dot has been saying

1 Like

I don’t think that’s much of a secret on Moussa. The reality is that he has more to consider with the decision to become a professional basketball player than just his draft standing.

5 Likes

Is there less of a visa risk for Caleb than Moussa when it comes to NIL? Seems a lot of folks make it sound like financial considerations / a lack of NIL forced Moussa out the door while those weren’t the same for Caleb. Are immigration rules for Canadians different? Or is Caleb better situated financially that (a lack of) NIL maybe wouldn’t matter as much? What’s the deal here?

1 Like

I wonder if Moussa ends up in a French league somewhere if the grind and money of the G-League doesn’t seem viable.

1 Like

As an international student, Caleb would have the same student visa issues that Moussa would have

2 Likes

Same visa issues. No idea Caleb’s background and family cash flow, but for Moussa it was reportedly tight and he is the meal ticket.

More to do with family situation and need to make money than NIL legalities.

Some background on Moussa:

3 Likes

Yeah but that’s part of the point…presumably he could make more in NIL than in the G League if the former were unfettered for a non-US citizen.

Yeah, but relative to Houstan’s decision… the difference isn’t in the law as much as the situations.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Name, Image and Likeness Discussion

That’s fair but given the pedigree of Moussa and Houstan going in, Michigan was a preseason top 5 team and perceived title contender. The opportunity cost of playing for a championship is that the 5 star freshman may not be as ready or polished as you thought. Either way, they were going to be gone after 1 year. Unless you are suggesting that we do not go after the highest caliber of talent which are 80% one and done, you have to take your chances. Howard (IMO) rightly went for the title chance.

1 Like
2 Likes

Good read. Fascinating to see if he’s a late first/early 2nd guy or something else, as he appears to be a pretty polarizing prospect. Even the NBA draft guys like that article are having a hard time making sense of his fit in the league.

Houstan struggles as an athlete, has a great deal of length but doesn’t always use it functionally. He’s a poor finisher at the rim, has slow and heavy feet, doesn’t have any touch in the mid-range and lacks any sort of playmaking for others.

Well other than that, Mrs. Lincoln…

This scouting report basically says “he has a low ceiling, and may not possess a single NBA skill”.

8 Likes