Caleb Houstan to remain in NBA Draft

With the chatter about Baker taking place (Jett even mentioned him in an interview with Sam Webb), that’s not a great sign that we are pursuing high end portal talent.

5 Likes

fwiw Ant is doing a live show right now and he said something like “Michigan in the portal right now is like the toilet paper aisle at the beginning of Covid”

idk if he’s just a full-time Illinois troll or if it’s really Baker and dust

3 Likes

I’ve heard he has a promise

7 Likes

He’s usually correct on all the bad news stuff.

3 Likes

what does that mean

1 Like

That we need to poo and all the good toilet paper is gone.

1 Like

so have we really just been waiting on our hands and hoping for Caleb and Moussa to return before diving into the portal? joking, obviously, but uh :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: :gun:

3 Likes

If this is true I hope JH learns in the future. Arkansas did a great job of staying on top of portal and understanding when kids are leaving or staying. I’ll wait till it’s done but if we end up not getting anyone other than Joey a JL after losing Houstan, Diabate, Frankie and DJones it would be disappointing

1 Like

Dont think Arkansas’ strategy of ‘$$$taying on top of the portal’ is really a fair comparison to make to Michigan’s circumstances.

But yeah, if Juwan gets burned this year, then I also hope he will use it as a learning opportunity to be even more aggressive in the portal.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the Baker chatter literally prove that Juwan wasn’t just waiting around for draft decisions?

You might not like the option, but clearly Juwan has been working.

6 Likes

Have a very hard time believing that Michigan hasn’t been ``in the portal’’ for weeks now. We’ve heard evidence of it ourselves, here. Minded to file that as Ant being Ant.

2 Likes

Well, I guess I’m referring to the possibility that we might not have entered the Malachi Smith and Pete Nance sweepstakes until very late in the process instead of a month ago when it was still ‘uncertain’ if Caleb and Moussa were coming back.

If Joey Baker was his target all along then…i dunno, things don’t seem very good.

2 Likes

What if baker comes in here and hits a good % of his 3pt shots,I think we will be ok.

1 Like

He may shoot well, but he’ll play sparingly. Not sure garbage time 3s are too important

3 Likes

At a minimum, I’d assume we’ve been chasing 1 big fish because of the chatter that someone on scholarship could choose to come off if needed. It’s possible we haven’t chased 2 at the same time without more certainty, but you’d have to think that Juwan kicked the tires on the high end guys and moved to the next if interest wasn’t reciprocated, a transfer wasn’t viable, etc.

1 Like

Hell ya, finally can move on with the offseason.

2 Likes

I thought we’d aim higher.

2 Likes

“very good for us” is probably overstating it just a bit. By Torvik’s PRPG! stat (I’m too lazy to dig up the entire acronym) he was our least valuable starter in years.

I mean he was decent. Good for a freshman. Not terribly good for a top 10 recruit in his class. Basically a low end starter on a good team.

My hopes for him were probably too high as a sort of rich man’s version of college Duncan Robinson. Hopefully he can stick on an NBA roster.

1 Like

I’m gonna assume we did. We don’t win all the recruitments, and transfers have an added layer of difficulty.

3 Likes

Yup, he went and got JL. Nearly landed Shannon but the TT along with Michigan admission has made it a bigger hurdle for Shannon to commit to Michigan. Maybe the players in the portal aren’t interested in playing for Michigan. That being said, there are two open starting spots that JH should be using as his recruiting pitch for those who wants to play and start at a high level P5 program.

If JH had landed Shannon, we would feel a lot better about the state of the program but alas.

5 Likes