Caleb Houstan, Moussa Diabate and Kobe Bufkin named to McDonald's All-American roster

I have one buried in a box somewhere in Santa Monica. Big Dog was still uncommitted, as was Cory Alexander. There were dreams of that class being even better and seeing Glenn play with Webber, King, and Rose (Juwan was on the other team, IIRC) was putting big visions in my head.

EDIT: Juwan was not on the other team. That might’ve been for the Dapper Dan (or Magic’s Roundball Classic, if the name had already changed) game.

Back to your original question, there was a really muddy version on YouTube for a while. I’ll see if I can track it down.

Here are the highlights https://youtu.be/mBlx_LZORZY

@DrZ Yeah, that’s all I found too. Strange because it looks like there are full games for nearly every other McD contests.

Thanks! It’s too bad they cut away from a streaking Juwan who looked to be about to dunk the ball on a breakaway.

1 Like

Here’s that Dapper Dan line-up:

Everybody was an inch taller.

JD, yes, the big dog was not committed at the time, and the rest of the wolverines were recruiting him to go to Michigan. I think the big dog was a prop 48, and in fact he did not qualify to play his first year at Purdue. Him and Webber really punished the rims that day. I seem to remember that even though he was in the same team as Rose, King, Howard and Webber, he was subbed to play along Howard and King for the game.

At the time we were also recruiting Travis Best, who finally committed to GaTech. Imagine what would have been with the big dog and Best playing alongside the fab4. Every game would be an all star parade.

Also checked to see if I could find some recording, but unfortunately the available highlights from that game were less than 2 min long. I remember I watched the entire game, since there was too much hoopla on Michigan’s recruiting team that year.

Edit: Dang, that game was about 30 years ago. We are getting old folks… I also remember watching the movie Hoop Dreams, where they had a short interview with Howard, while he was in the AAU circuit.

4 Likes

In that player intro from the Dapper Dan video, Dickie V talks about whether Cory Alexander was going to go to Virginia or Michigan. He chose UVA, of course. I didn’t recall that we were in it for Travis Best too.

Back to this year’s team- is there actually going to be a game or just the honor of being named to the team?

No game per wtka

1 Like

No game – as referenced in the post.

1 Like

Ah. I missed that note.

That’s a shame but probably the smart move.

By stockpiling this kind of talent, Juwan is putting the other coaches in a pickle. They mayo may not be able to ketchup.

Now where’s the downvote button so I can neg you for your terrible puns and me for adding to them?

2 Likes

Do we have any idea of the severity of Bufkin’s wrist? Heard it was a hairline fracture