Bracketology / Bubble Watch Thread (2016-17)

I agree I just was explaining where the six seed potential talk is coming from. If we some how win out and then get two in the tourney I think it’s doable.

In the AP poll this week, we were the 4th highest team in the “Others Recieving Votes” section. Purdue and Wisconsin were the only big ten teams to make the poll. Minnesota was ahead of us barely, but we got more votes than Maryland and Northwestern.

The thing that bothers me is that before the committee’s in-season snapshot, the media also felt that the B1G had a few teams worthy of top 4 seeds. What we didn’t get a glimpse of with that snapshot was how the committee felt about the conference as a whole.

While I still think the 7 teams in question are on the right side of the bubble (I actually think Northwestern has the highest odds of playing themselves out), we - and the bracketologists/media - are still going on the assumption that the committee thinks highly of the B1Gs teams to be tourney worthy, just not worthy of a top seed. I sure hope that is the case!

With two road wins this week we’d be knocking on the door of the Top 25 going into the conference tournament. Nobody would have seen that coming 3 weeks ago!

2 Likes

6th seed, I agree, seems a little high right now. Win both road games this week and maybe, maybe I can start to glimpse up to that range.

But most likely the team appears headed for the 7/10 or 8/9 game in the NCAAs 1st Round

True, the 16-team snapshot didn’t give a glimpse into B1G teams directly, but it did provide some clues as to metrics the committee appears/appeared to be favoring ---- as in UCLA’s seeding vis-a-vis out of conference strength of schedule and the use of KenPom/advanced metrics to help with seeding questions. I think several media outlets have tweaked their bracket projections a bit based on some of those hints.

This may be an overreaction due to how heartbreaking and maddening that game was, but I feel like this really hurts our chances of getting a favorable seeding in the NCAA tournament. We really should have had this win and it would have bolstered our resume because it would have been a good road win.

2 Likes

I think it probably means we’re an 8 at best, unless we win the B10 tourney. It makes getting to the second weekend a bit harder.

I think we could get a 7 seed even if we make it to sunday of the BTT. But I’m more anxious about what happens if we lose our next two games. With this loss it’s looking like our first game of the BTT won’t be a cakewalk.

If you want to feel better about UM’s resume look at some of these teams

1 Like

Lots or garbage in there.

Yeah, Cal has 1 top 50 win, 4 top 100 wins. USC has 2 top 50 wins, 5 top 100 wins. Wake has 2 top 50, 7 top 100. Xavier has 3 top 50 and 8 top 100, but they’ve lost 6 in a row. All are substantially lower in the computer rankings except for Wake.

It would be really nice not to lose the next two and have to worry about being in the first four. Nebraska plays @Minny tonight, so hopefully they go into quadruple overtime.

1 Like

Makes me feel better about M, but how is Illinois not ahead of most (or all) of those teams? Makes me not trust Lunardi.

On the flip side, if Michigan winds up with a 10 seed then the path will be easier than with an 8

Right–assuming we win the first game at least. What are the odds we drop to a 10? I’d think we’d have to lose out to get a 10.

Who knows but most brackets currently have them at a 9… there’s always a possibility that someone behind them could put together a run in their conference tourney and bump them down a line even if Michigan wins another game

For anyone worried if Michigan loses out that they’ll miss the tournament, here’s a good comparison. They’re either for sure in or people need to stop saying it’s the weakest bubble in years.

Current Resume:
Overall Record: 19-11 (9-8)
RPI / SOS: 48 / 34
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 4-8
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 7-3
Record vs. RPI 100-200: 3-0
Record vs. RPI 200+: 5-0
Home / Away: 15-3 / 2-8

Blind Resume:
Overall Record: 22-13 (10-8)
RPI / SOS: 58 / 50
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 4-12
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 1-1
Record vs. RPI 100-200: 8-0
Record vs. RPI 200+: 9-0
Home / Away: 12-4 / 4-6

That’s last year’s team, but after the BTT and the NCAA tourney. I’d appreciate not dealing with the travel associated with that whole Dayton thing again, woof.

1 Like

Haha yes it is, you caught that quick.

But it is a good comparison that even ending 19-13 overall, their RPI Top 50-100 wins should get them over the hump. Although you may have to still go to Dayton again ha.

Win Sunday and everything will be a lot more straight forward. I don’t think you want to tempt fate and lose to Illinois and Nebraska.