Bigs

The only way we can play 2 bigs at a time is if one of them is Mitch. No way we can have combo of Jmo/ horford/ Bielfeldt on court at same time. Next year gonna be a bit scary with losing Mitch and Jmo. Horford, Bielfeldt, Donnal, Doyle. Ouch. Glaring weakness IMO.

I honestly think Donnal will slide into the 4 next year quicker than people think. And it seems that Irvin is getting time as a “stretch four” somewhat in the vein of GRIII last year (- all the rebounds, which could be a problem). The 4 spot next year definitely could use an instant impact player. Looks at Jonah Bolden

Our biggest concern with the bigs is the lack of rebounding/interior defense. Hence my concern with Mr. Wilson. Can you imagine a frontline of Doyle/Wilson or Donnal/Wilson - because more than likely that is your bench rotation at the 4/5 spots next year. Doesn’t bode well in my opinion.

Matt, Horford and Bielfeldt will be back next season along with Donnal. Chatman can play 4, as well. I’ll be surprised if, barring injuries, Wilson is not red shirted next season. Beilein might red shirt Doyle, as well. Irvin, with a year of strength development, could be a stretch 4.

Sane - in all seriousness, what has Horford and/or Bielfeldt shown you during there tenures at Michigan which leads you to believe they can be competent interior defenders or threats in the post on offense?

I have hope for Donnal with a year of strength and conditioning, but don’t necessarily view him as an intimidator in the post.

Irvin is playing the stretch 4 now to a certain extent, and I don’t think that will hold up vs. legit competition, in addition to the fact that he is a great perimeter defender.

Chatman, again, I have hopes for him because he seems to be a good rebounder from everything I’ve seen/read.

Sane - in all seriousness, what has Horford and/or Bielfeldt shown you during there tenures at Michigan which leads you to believe they can be competent interior defenders or threats in the post on offense?

I have hope for Donnal with a year of strength and conditioning, but don’t necessarily view him as an intimidator in the post.

Irvin is playing the stretch 4 now to a certain extent, and I don’t think that will hold up vs. legit competition, in addition to the fact that he is a great perimeter defender.

Chatman, again, I have hopes for him because he seems to be a good rebounder from everything I’ve seen/read.

You said that your concern for next season was lack of interior defense and rebounding from Donnal, Doyle and Wilson. I’m telling you that two of those guys are likely red shirts and are irrelevant to next season, and Horford, Bielfeldt and perhaps Irvin will be our 4/5s along with Donnal. Horford may be limited offensively, but his interior defense and rebounding are solid. Bielfeldt can rebound and hold his position on other bigs but is not effective in stopping drivers. There are few 4s who Irvin could not check at 6’7" with some added muscle. Donnal’s defense and rebounding remain to be seen. I think that both Irvin and Donnal can score and will be tough match-ups for many opponents’ 4s. W/o Mitch, we will not be as good inside - no question. But guys like him are tough to get.

You said that your concern for next season was lack of interior defense and rebounding from Donnal, Doyle and Wilson. I’m telling you that two of those guys are likely red shirts and are irrelevant to next season, and Horford, Bielfeldt and perhaps Irvin will be our 4/5s along with Donnal. Horford may be limited offensively, but his interior defense and rebounding are solid. Bielfeldt can rebound and hold his position on other bigs but is not effective in stopping drivers. There are few 4s who Irvin could not check at 6’7" with some added muscle. Donnal’s defense and rebounding remain to be seen. I think that both Irvin and Donnal can score and will be tough match-ups for many opponents’ 4s. W/o Mitch, we will not be as good inside - no question. But guys like him are tough to get.

Irvin is 6’6’’ and I think you are reaching if you think next year looks fine at the 4/5 position

Irvin is 6’6’’ and I think you are reaching if you think next year looks fine at the 4/5 position

We will be “fine” even if not as good without Mitch. Matt was saying that he was concerned about Donnal, Doyle and Wilson manning the 4/5 next season w/o even mentioning Horford, Bielfeldt or Irvin. There will be a drop off, but Wilson and Doyle will not be the reason - very unlikely that either sees many minutes even if they’re not red shirted. If Irvin is 6’6" and not 6’7", he still has the tools to play stretch 4. Chatman can play stretch 4.

Honestly, we don’t look very good right now with the Horford/Morgan combo, and considering that Bielfeldt is a pretty large dropoff relevant to Morgan, I think there is plenty to worry about. I’m with Guestavo, I don’t think Irvin is fit to play the 4, especially on defense. Chatman - we’ll have to take a wait and see approach, but I highly doubt he is ready from a physical standpoint to play the 4 in the Big Ten as a freshman.

Honestly, we don't look very good right now with the Horford/Morgan combo, and considering that Bielfeldt is a pretty large dropoff relevant to Morgan, I think there is plenty to worry about. I'm with Guestavo, I don't think Irvin is fit to play the 4, especially on defense. Chatman - we'll have to take a wait and see approach, but I highly doubt he is ready from a physical standpoint to play the 4 in the Big Ten as a freshman.

I have been concerned about frontcourt rebounding over the two exhibitions so far. I expect it to continue to be an issue until either Mitch or GRIII is playing the 4. I hope the bench players see this as an opportunity to carve a niche for more playing time by showing a strong effort with results in rebounding. We saw flashes from Bielfeldt where he could rebound decently well in B1G play last year, but I am not sure how much better he will be able to rebound with just one more year of development in the system.

I don’t think rebounding will be a problem with Robinson, Horford and McGary in the lineup together.