Big Ten Weekend Open Thread (1/11/14)

I asked you for your game by game predictions for us in the Big Ten, guestavo...why are you afraid to to give them? Come on..show us how we realistically get to 12-6 with two losses in "easy" games thrown in there, as you claimed that we could.

And we played very good team defense when we won the BT two years ago, btw

Do you realize how silly you sound? Here, predict Arizona’s game by game for the rest of the year. They will likely be favored in every game, but do you think it is realistic they go undefeated from here on out? I don’t.

I expect us to see improvement on the defense end but more noticeably on the offensive end, not to say we aren’t already good at that end of the floor.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/231005/In-Season-Improvement-Part-2

Said it before and I’ll say it again, I honestly believe Iowa is the second best team in the Big Ten. Defend well, rebound well, great size, have great depth. Im watching Iowa vs OSU currently, and Iowa is for real. They like to play uptempo relative to previous years. PG play is the big question mark for Iowa, that may be the only thing preventing them from being elite.

Season Stats dictate otherwise but every time I see Iowa play they shot poorly from the outside

Also - Roy Devon marble is underrated - should be getting mentioned among those considered for big ten POY in my opinion. He is the definition of a versatile wing player.

Nebraska hung with Purdue earlier today at Mackey but didn’t make enough plays down the stretch. Think they are a year away from being a pretty decent team.

Nebraska hung with Purdue earlier today at Mackey but didn't make enough plays down the stretch. Think they are a year away from being a pretty decent team.

Agreed - NEB much better than I anticipated. Seems like the top of the big ten is weaker in comparison to last year whereas the bottom of the big ten is better other than NW

Theoretically, what B1G teams can stop our offense? What teams have the weapons to outscore us?

Iowa on the verge of a big one in Columbus. Up 3 with less than 5 minutes to play. Would be the biggest win that anyone has in Big Ten play I’d say.

Theoretically, what B1G teams can stop our offense? What teams have the weapons to outscore us?

We tend to stop ourselves by settling for to many perimeter shots. The question with our team is always going to be are we going to get bullied?

On offense, Iowa and MSU can murder us on the inside. Considering our poor pick and roll/screen defense, Wisconsin can exploit us on the perimeter

Iowa on the verge of a big one in Columbus. Up 3 with less than 5 minutes to play. Would be the biggest win that anyone has in Big Ten play I'd say.

Iowa is the real deal, legit contender for big ten title in my opinion. We will need to have our A game Jan 22

We all know Ohio St can’t score well enough to be truly elite. Iowa is ELITE offensively and OSU’s defense can’t make up the difference AT HOME.

Right now

MSU
Iowa
Wisc
OSU
Mich

Not how I think the conference will go but more so overall quality of team and tournament hopes.

Also, I hope we can play Purdue before AJ Hammonds realizes how good he is lol

We all know Ohio St can't score well enough to be truly elite. Iowa is ELITE offensively and OSU's defense can't make up the difference AT HOME.

Right now

MSU
Iowa
Wisc
OSU
Mich

Not how I think the conference will go but more so overall quality of team and tournament hopes.

Iowa is elite defensively as well, #9 in defensive efficiency. Also #16 in offensive efficiency. Translation, they look to be an elite team period.

And here you are, hail…doing EXACTLY the same thing with KenPom’s numbers…projecting every game where we’re favored as a win. Do you realize how silly YOU sound?

We all know Ohio St can't score well enough to be truly elite. Iowa is ELITE offensively and OSU's defense can't make up the difference AT HOME.

Right now

MSU
Iowa
Wisc
OSU
Mich

Iowa is elite defensively as well, #9 in defensive efficiency. Also #16 in offensive efficiency. Translation, they look to be an elite team period.

Yeah I know. I still have MSU higher because of experience and I like their top end offensive options a bit better, plus PG play, but Iowa is right there. Wisconsin isn’t on the same tier defensively so I have them definitively third. OSU is all defense and against any elite two way team will be bested. It’s a shame we don’t have Mitch because with the inevitable growth of our freshman, I could have seen us being third best B1G team at the end of the year.

Right now

MSU
Iowa
Wisc
OSU
Mich

Yeah I know. I still have MSU higher because of experience and I like their top end offensive options a bit better, plus PG play, but Iowa is right there. Wisconsin isn’t on the same tier defensively so I have them definitively third. OSU is all defense and against any elite two way team will be bested. It’s a shame we don’t have Mitch because with the inevitable growth of our freshman, I could have seen us being third best B1G team at the end of the year.

Couldn’t agree more assuming Payne gets healthy. If Payne isn’t healthy, my thoughts on the pecking order will definitely change

Stanford beat Oregon

Stanford beat Oregon
At Oregon too... but lost at Oregon State.

Hope our RPI, Kenpom and SOS all adjust for the better

No way Illinois is better than us and should be ranked

Northwestern leading Illinois 43-36 with 3:28 to play in Evanston…