Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

I’ve read that MSG has a weird shooting backdrop that takes getting used to. Hopefully this got it out of our system while Nebraska will have trouble tomorrow.

1 Like

Yes! I wanted somebody to do go back and do this so badly, but didn’t have it in me to do it myself.

Any chance you want to time Iowa’s not-called inbound, from the same spot, right after? It felt…longer

1 Like

JB goes to 11-0 in the first round of the BTT. That is incredible.

4 Likes

I tell myself every game to expect nothing from the refs and I still find myself continuously disappointed.

3 Likes

It was so weird I wasn’t even mad.

That’d be nice, especially since Poole air-balled a couple

Yeah, Poole’s shot was wayyyyyyy off today. It’s a good thing he’s doing other stuff on offense in case that’s happening.

Most irritating game in a while. If not for the 11-0 run to start the 2nd half it would have had no redeeming qualities. Oh, and Duncan’s 3’s to put us in position to ice the game, which we then flubbed.

1 Like

Just gotta beat Nebraska tomorrow and this can be a tourney we can live with.

5 Likes

I just figured he picked Iowa and the points in the BTT Pick 'Em Contest Thread. :smiley:

4 Likes

I timed 5.44 seconds from when the official started his arm count, and similar to you, 4 seconds from when Z picked up the ball. I am not sure what the rule is on starting the arm count, though – it did take 2-3 seconds for an inbounder to retrieve the ball.

2 Likes

Just got back from the game and have started decompressing. That is probably the single worst reffed game I have ever seen at the Garden. The NIT Final against South Carolina, where the SC player reached through the net and the rim to reject the shot with no call is the only one that’s close. Jim Delany, whether it was intentional or not, you should be embarrassed by what happened. Ridiculous. Neutral fans thought it was extraordinary. IOWA FANS admitted how ridiculous it was. I lean toward it not having been intentional, just rank incompetence. That little bald dude should not ref another game this tournament. He should be yanked before the evening is out. In general, it’s ridiculous that the league has allowed hand checking and rough play all year and judging from our game and the WI-MD game before it, that’s completely out the window now. I can’t begin to describe what I just saw. Shameful.

3 Likes

0-1
Northwestern +5.5

I am like 99.99% certain it’s from when you pick up the ball. The ref can give you a hard time about taking too long to pick up the ball and start the clock, but the clock doesn’t start until the ball is in the player’s hands.

3 Likes

Is the rule that the official starts counting when we could have taken possession of the ball out of bounds or when we actually take possession? I do not know but always assumed we actually need to take possession of the ball by picking it up.

Some other comments - my voice is shot and I’m pretty much exhausted, so bear with me.

Our guys at first seemed too pumped to be in the Garden, after that was out of their system, I don’t know what to say about our shooting. We could have had a comfortable double digit lead in the first half if we just made 3 of those 3’s. Iowa had a pretty good strategy, though, initially. They decided they would go big and dare us to beat them at the rim. We had mixed luck with that. Not to say we didn’t miss some really great looks from 3, though, because we did, but that was their overall strategy. Z’s 3’s, yikes, they are uglier in person. They basically have to drop right in, right over the rim and through, or they are not going down, because they hit the rim with almost an anti-spin. His shooting eye is not terrible. His shot rotation on 3’s is among the worst I’ve seen.

2 Likes

They called an absolutely ridiculous delay of game on Simpson earlier too where the ball hit his leg after a basket and then bounced away. It was simply a disgusting performance by the zebras.

6 Likes

That call INFURIATED ME. Mostly because it was after so much other BS by that point. It was just a warning, but it was in keeping with the way the refs were totally intent on ruining the game.

3 Likes

Yeah, the call didn’t even affect anything. It was just the nature of a delay of game warning on a normal basketball play after several BS calls in the minutes before.

1 Like

If i watched the replay correctly… it looks like X inbounded the ball as he counted to 5. You could see him swing his right arm out to count and the ball was already in–then he blew the whistle. Definitely a tough break there.

2 Likes