Big Ten’s Top 25 Players: 25-21

I can’t like this enough

1 Like

A funny (to me) anecdote on Craft, his 3pt% got worse as his career went on. He shot 30% his last two years, as opposed to 38% and 36% his first two years. And volume was only up his junior year. He was a much better FT shooter than X though

I think some of you have your “Michigan glasses” on. I love what Z brings to the team, but arguing he is a top 25 player in the league is a bit ridiculous. Other fan bases would laugh at that argument.

3 Likes

There’s been a great deal of disagreement about where Z ranks on this team, about whether a 5* freshman could even take minutes from him, let alone take his starting job. It was inevitable those would spill over to where he ranks in the league.

Some of it boils down to the criteria for the list. If it’s tied to their NBA prospects, Z doesn’t belong. If it’s based on numbers, his are mostly not that great. If it’s based on overall value to their team and effect on their games, then you can make an argument for Z.

5 Likes

For the people that think Z is a definite top 25 player in the conference…where do you rank him in comparison with other PGs in the league?

2 Likes

I’ll give it a shot. Not including Carsen Edwards, consider him a 2 guard.

1. Cowan
  2. Simpson
  3. Mason
  4. Winston
  5. Davidson

Others considered: Frazier, Bohanon, Watson.

If you’re referring to Nate Mason, he’s graduated now.

Feel like you guys are underrating Winston. Shot almost 50% from 3, 7 assists per game. Not a great defender, but no one else is putting up those offensive numbers.

3 Likes

Totally true–except “not a great defender” is a super generous way to describe how bad he is on that side of the floor.

3 Likes

Whoops, I was. I thought he had one more year. Move up Bohanon.

1 Like

In the y league…I always opted to play with winners. I wanted to have next up! I will be watching closely the success of opposing PG’s when matched up against Z. Do we know how some of the top 25 PG’ s played against Z last year? I know this, he won more games than any PG in the B1G last year as the floor general, he may not be ready for the NBA but the kid is a winner!! Individual Stats don’t mean much to me in the context of team sports and W’s, just look at last years team. Go blue!

1 Like

and that fact that simpson absolutely shuts him down every time they play.

Just take a look at every opponent point guard starting at the big tourney. It wont surprise you but they all played like shit.

That’s a matchup issue and doesn’t necesarily speak to who is the better player. As someone mentioned earlier, we could not shut down Cowan in either game against Maryland and X was his main defender. So by the transitive property Cowan>Simpson>Winston?

1 Like

This is a great discussion and one without an answer today. I guess it all depends on the criteria…which opens up good debate. I can’t recall if Duncan Robinson was in the top 25 last year but he finished in the top 10-15 range as far as the NBA draft for B1G players. Now I don’t see Z in the NBA unless he can add value offensivley. They don’t draft defensive PG’s at 6’-0" unless they can score. That’s what’s great about college hoops…you never know when the next TB or CL is going to shine!

Yeah. I think that’s right

Not using the transitive property, but I think Cowan is the best PG in the conference by some margin.

2 Likes

I can’t help but think how good WInston would be in JB’s offense.

He would have been dynamite. Kid can flat out shoot and his passing skills are unbelievable.

2 Likes

Yes his offensive skills are impressive, but he gives up as much as he gives and seems athletically limited.