Big Ten Discussion

UM success getting people into the NBA is based on three legs of a stool: 1) top notch talent evaluation regardless of ranking; 2) top notch player skill development toward implementing a system; 3) a system that approximates elements of the NBA.

When these three legs combine it forms the basis for what amounts to showcasing individual players for the NBA. There is no showcasing without #1, #2, and #3.

4 Likes

Just a suggestion…since this thread started almost two years ago, how about a reboot, and keeping future Big Ten threads limited to the current season? No reason to keep scrolling through topics from 2017.

Does it not just load at the bottom for you? We can make a new thread, and that probably makes sense, just wondering if you aren’t just being loaded to the new comments (which the system is supposed to do).

What browser are you using? The site always saves where I’ve been last so there’s no unnecessary scrolling.

1 Like

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t. Not sure why. And sometimes I want to get to somewhere in the middle. No biggie. But unless the same thread is going to go on for 10K comments or more, it would seem to make sense to start a fresh one at some point. Just a suggestion…why not start a new Big Ten Discussion thread every year, some time after the draft deadline? At that point, the tournament is over, recruiting is basically done, we know what impact players won’t be back, and any coaching changes have likely happened, so we know what we need to know to start speculating about the next season.

A post was split to a new topic: Big Ten coaches rank the best jobs in the conference

Corey Evans predicting Vernon Carey to the enemy.

LOL. Consider me out on people saying MSU is going to win the conference. How you can you still play two bigs (who can’t shoot) like this is beyond me…

1 Like

They really don’t have any other options. Their depth looks like this:

Winston - Loyer
Langford - Brown
McQuaid - Henry - Ahrens
Goins - Bingham
Ward - Tillman - Kithier

They really don’t have anything as far as stretch four options. Man that roster just is not very good.

4 Likes

Bingham seems like the obvious choice at 5. They could play small with Henry or Brown at the 4, but Izzo would never. Maybe McQuaid, if Izzo actually thinks he’s their best wing defender

I think Henry and Brown are both intriguing options as small ball fours. Wouldn’t be surprised for that to become a thing. Not sure why Izzo wouldn’t do that when he played Bridges there all freshman year.

Not sure that Bingham is physically ready especially to play the five.

Ward/Tillman gives you something at the five spot. Both guys can finish, post up, defend the rim, crash the offensive glass, etc.

The big reason they couldn’t go smaller last year was because there wasn’t really enough guard depth which will make Loyer’s development interesting.

Izzo only played Bridges at the 4 because he literally had no other options. And Bridges was muuuuuuch more of a big than Gabe Brown is. The biggest three players on that team were Ward, Bridges and Goins.

It just would not be very Izzo at all to play a skinny freshman guard at the 4 spot. Henry I could see a little bit more since he has some build, but I still couldn’t see it happening very often.

2 Likes

You are confusing their conference results with their March Madness results.
Conference results with two bigs continue to be very good. March madness…not so much.

Yeah, not saying they shouldn’t play Ward/Tillman at the 5… it’s just the four spot. You present two potential options there.

:rofl:

8 Likes

hmmm

Trying to hide Winston and Loyer on defense

1 Like

It’s going to be a disaster. Izzo is going to go crazy (not stale) when his boys are giving up offensive rebounds left and right. Izzo is going to be so in their heads (not stale) and it will compound their issues and hurt their performance. I will enjoy every minute of it (not stale).

Izzo has already fired up the excuse machine while throwing kids he recruited under the bus. Yea, it’s the state of Michigan’s fault that you recruited guards who are physically incapable of defending.

It will be a disaster.

4 Likes