Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

True. So you think Izzo, the guy who is famous for the football pads, is going to play Hauser a lot of minutes at the 5? He’s going to embrace small ball?

Unless he’s willing to change his philosophy to do that, who else plays 5? You’ve got Kohler, Cooper, or Sissoko.

How many minutes you think Hauser is getting at the 5 by the time B1G conference play rolls around? I can’t imagine it’s more than 5.

1 Like

I’m not confident that Cooper or Kohler are Big Ten players yet. I expect Kohler will play a role, but yes I think it is likely that Hauser is better than both and plays minutes at the five over both. I imagine year 3 Sissoko is more useful for MSU than year 1 Cooper.

It’s not hard to see Hall/Hauser turning out to be the best option at the 4/5 IMO. They are both going to be in MSU’s top group of best players.

Nick Ward is probably a best case for Kohler as a frosh and he averaged 21 mpg that year, FWIW.

I think this has been nearly the consensus belief on this board since the end of last season. It’s also been widely viewed as an impossible end state for a Tom Izzo-coached team, so I imagine any minutes projections come with that in mind (don’t mean to speak for @WolverineKeith).

But for as much as I want to watch MSU lose 13 games next year, there is a small part of me that actually would love to see them play small. They have a fun roster for it. And the national commentariat’s cooked up lines on MSU style of play would be laugh lines.

2 Likes

There would be nothing fun about watching MSU discover an effective style of basketball rather than trotting out weird lineups and duds at center

12 Likes

If Kohler plays center for them they’re playing small ball already :rofl:

1 Like

The last time MSU discovered an effective style of play they beat us three times in a year. I did not find that fun.

5 Likes

Sissoko Szn

2 Likes

My best MSU rotation guess (with built in Izzo idiocy constraints):

Hoggard 28 Walker 12
Walker 16 Akins 20 Holloman 4
Hall 10 Brooks 22 Akins 8
Hauser 20 Hall 20
Kohler 20 Sissoko 8 Hauser 8 Cooper 4

Hall plays 30, nobody else more than 28. 10 man rotation that’s really 8 guys but Cooper and Holloman get a bad stint per game each.

2 Likes

Akins>portal next March?

I know we’ve acknowledged this already but it’s legit insanity that he left 3 scholarships open and didn’t add a center from the portal. Sissoko is the only actual sized option and he might be horrible.

1 Like

Arguably 4 depending on how you see Cooper. I would say he is equivalent to a Jaron Faulds in terms of his recruiting profile

3 Likes

Missing some Keon Coleman minutes

4 Likes

you might be joking, or you might not

1 Like

I don’t think @kturnup is joking at all – I had the same thought – nice start @buckets12 but this roster seems a little shallow. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Crazy that we are overlooking the actual projected starting C - Maliq Carr

4 Likes

Cleaned it up for ya. :wink:

2 Likes

Isn’t there a pretty good chance that Hauser is taller/longer/heavier/stronger than Kohler?

1 Like

The guy I’m most curious about in izzo’s rotation is sisoko. He is the only true center on the roster and seems to have the physical attributes Izzo would be looking for. However, his career to this point has been a mess and it doesn’t seem like he’s going to play well enough to earn that trust. I suspect he will get a lot of opportunity Early in the season when Izzo is reluctant to play freshman and still wants Hauser to be a four, but then we will have to see how it evolves.

It remains hard to believe that he was ranked higher than Hunter Dickinson

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

2 Likes