Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

I refuse to make excuses for this mediocre conference

What do you call the ACC?

1 Like

I think it’s just tough to figure out how to classify a conference where the 13th best team and 2nd best team are closer in quality than #2 is to #1 or #13 is to #14

1 Like

I refrained myself at 2am last night from sending the records of the middle of the pack Big Ten teams in head to heads against the ACC teams you said they’re better than

You guys are right that the Big Ten only has one Minnesota and the others have 2-3 Minnesotas.

But 2-13 this conference is weak comparatively with 2-11 from the ACC, Big 12, SEC for sure. Pac 12 probably not because it’s an unserious basketball conference (of champions)

Also Louisville isn’t going on the road and beating middle of the pack ACC teams. Minnesota is. That’s not a great look for OSU (who is 0-2 against ACC teams) supposedly being a step above the middle of the ACC.

I just think there’s more potential in the ACC. The Big10 will be lucky to get 1 or 2 teams to the Sweet 16. It’s just not a very athletic league.

What are the teams that you like in the ACC? There’s definitely no team as good as Purdue.

I can get buying upside on UNC nad maybe Duke (but are we really?). UVA is UVA so fair play.

I actually like how Clemson plays but are they better than an MSU or a Rutgers?

Pitt, Wake, Syracuse, NC State, FSU, BC, Va Tech?

Not sure there is really much in the H2H this year:

Is the ACC good because PSU lost to VT by a basket and in 2OT at Clemson?

1 Like

Who is #2 in the ACC? Duke lost to NC State and Wake Forest. Virginia’s lost to Miami and Pitt. Pitt’s lost to UNC and Clemson (and Loyola Marymount). Clemson’s lost to South Carolina and Loyola Chicago. UNC is 12-8. Miami lost to Georgia Tech and got blown out by Maryland.

I might buy that Big Ten 2-5 (whoever that is) is weaker than 2-5 in the SEC (and maybe ACC). But Big Ten 6-13 is stronger than both of their 6-13.

1 Like

IMO Miami is probably 1, Duke/UNC/Virginia/Clemson all in the 2-5 range. Duke and UNC aren’t playing well right now though but I like that top 5 over a conference that has a mediocre Michigan State team and Rutgers looking like top 3 squads.

NCST, Virginia Tech, Wake and Pitt are the “middle of the pack” like much of the Big Ten is.

Yeah I guess I agree that the argument for the big Ten is “7-12 are better!” but that’s just a gross argument because all the teams in 8-12 range have the talent to be good teams and objectively aren’t (Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Iowa all shooting themselves in the foot constantly)

Yeah it’s really about the depth of the league. That’s why you watch the game and see teams “shooting themselves in the foot constantly” it is because they are playing way better teams.

If they played 8 games against ND, GT, FSU, BC and LVille they would have less weird losses.

Here’s just the top-down KenPom comp and you can see the difference:

Can’t both conferences stink?

6 Likes

ACC’s top 7 teams are 12-6 against Big Ten teams this year. I just don’t like the argument that the Big Ten’s best teams aren’t separating themselves cuz everyone’s solid in the 30-60 range. Any good to great Big Ten team from the last few seasons would separate and decisively win the league this year IMO, and maybe Purdue will end up doing that.

It’s an echo chamber of all these teams have to play eachother and they’re all good! Or they all get to play eachother and theyre all mediocre. Until we get to the NCAAT again and every team is out by R32

I mean, a bunch of teams in 30s should probably mostly be out in the first weekend right?

I don’t think there’s another elite team other than Purdue and that’s fine but that doesn’t make it incredibly difficult to win league games.

Saying the Big Ten is ridiculously deep doesn’t mean it is loaded with final four teams… just that there are no easy games compared to other non-B12 leagues.

So the good ACC teams against all Big Ten teams? How many were at home?

2 Likes

Is Minnesota at home not an easy game? That the third best team in B1G just lost?

From the ACC/B1G tournament the only ACC team that lost at home was Florida St to Purdue. All the others held serve. B1G teams that lost at home were Wisconsin/Michigan/Northwestern.

Wake lost a non conference game on the road to Rutgers as well.

Oh and Louisville lost at home.

Yeah, that’s a bad loss and now they play 15 straight difficult games.

1 Like

Eastern Illinois didn’t find playing at Iowa as difficult as every Big Ten team has

1 Like

So because Iowa was bad without it’s All American it is just not a good team now?

1 Like

Adding Kris Murray (and losing Pat McCaffery) and going from being 9 points worse at home than KP #350 to immediately being above three of the supposedly respectable middle of the pack Big Ten teams says something about that special middle of the pack that makes this conference so great

1 Like

Or the one game was just an outlier. Obv Iowa is better than Eastern Illinois even without Murray

Is Clemson bad cause they barely beat a team that lost to Eastern Illinois? What about how Pitt is 4-2 in the ACC? Can find weird results like that a lot.

Though I am definitely not going to be counting on very good NCAAT performance from the B1G as I don’t like too many of the teams

If the ACC is as good as you think you should be able to make bank on them in the tournament

1 Like