Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

This is an old Mizzou team. 3 grad students, a senior and a junior in the starting five, plus another grad student and 2 seniors coming off the bench.

2 Likes

Can we start questioning how good the B10 is yet?

5 Likes

See that’s where we’re different. It does make me feel better.

10 Likes

Me too, but I’m just checking in now. Anything particular happen or was there just vibes?

Torvik has Missouri as the 2nd best offense in the nation, primarily due to their shooting, so while their shooting performance last night was aberrant, it’s something they do.

They’re an AWFUL defense, and Illinois’ inability to punish that is bizarre

Illinois had very little off-ball movement and it seemed like half the time they got the ball into the paint, they got stripped. It’s hard to convey how terrible they looked.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I’m remembering all the non-basketball reasons I didn’t like Kevin Willard.

3 Likes

Wow, he hates 9 PM tips more than I do if he found a way to blame them for the Big Ten’s national champ drought. Wish I had thought of that

6 Likes

I know Willard isn’t familiar with them, but someone should let him know when the national championship usually tips off

11 Likes

The block was clean. The B1G has won a recent title, we can’t help if it’s not recognized. Happy holidays, everybody.

2 Likes

Ah yes, Big Ten scheduling is the reason they haven’t won a title since 2000. Playing a 9:00 tip in January has really affected those March tournament runs.

Doesn’t the Big East regularly have 8-8:30 games? What’s the difference?

1 Like

Out of morbid curiosity I thumbed through the conference schedule by day on ESPN and their latest start is 8 pm

His point about game clustering appears correct too - UConn basically only plays on Wednesday and then either Saturday or Sunday

My feeling is that game clustering is a thing that can lead to injury and maybe hurt a teams chances as result

Late tips more a quality of life complaint

1 Like

I understand not liking the late tips. But it has absolutely zero correlation with tournament results. Zero, none, nada. Villanova didn’t beat Michigan in 2018 because they played earlier games in January and February. They beat them because they were stacked with NBA players. Seton Hall never did anything in the tournament with him as coach. You can’t ride the coattails of Villanova and pretend that they won because Big East did something that contributed to it.

Sorry the Big East doesn’t have the same TV appeal as the Big Ten. If it did, they’d have a similar schedule to the Big Ten. It has nothing to do with Big East being better at scheduling. Schedules are mostly dictated by TV. The Big East just isn’t a coveted TV product

3 Likes

I agree the late tips don’t have anything to do with post season success

I can see an argument for the clustered games (I haven’t looked at their schedule but 6 games in 12 days seems too much if that’s what they’re doing)

The Big Ten up until the past two years has been as good as almost any other conference in the country in the NCAAT. Is game clustering a positive for the first 5 rounds and a negative for the championship?

Which injuries to Big Ten players caused by “game clustering” do you think would’ve resulted in a national title with different scheduling? Is there a lot?

1 Like

It’s impossible to say with certainty that a player would not have been injured if they would not have had x amount of games within x number of days, and then further claim that missing player x would have caused a team to win a National championship (correlation and causation and whatnot), but Michigan did play 5 games in 11 days at the end of the 2020-2021 regular season after which Isaiah Livers broke his foot.

2 Likes

Isaiah Livers literally had a stress fracture

I can’t tell you it’s because of the schedule
But it’s a repetitive use injury, and those occur when the body is over taxed

Thanks

Regardless, it is science that players playing tired get hurt more than those that don’t. Playing more in a condensed time period is more likely to yield injury, and a team with injured players is more likely to lose

Thanks for attending my Ted talk

I’m sorry, I’m dying at a fan of a team who had a top seed lose its captain to a stress fracture ask this question

3 Likes

Obviously I’m aware of Livers. I was expecting more of a list if that’s the correlation we are going to make between scheduling and the Big Ten national title drought.

Again, obviously I’m aware of Livers. The claim was that the Big Ten National Title drought is correlated to cluster scheduling injuries. Is the entire case study Isaiah Livers?

That seems like a giant reach.