Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 2)

Interesting to see Iowa’s win in Columbus ranked as the best win of the McCaffery era.

Love the quote after the win at MSU in the article given Iowa’s finish that year.

Big Ten tourney is going to be really interesting. I feel like Iowa and Illinois think this is a special year and they want to prove the regular season was incorrect.

1 Like

Footage of the brawl:

2 Likes

Fran after a big W. Basically the same guy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Interesting list. Only two tournament games and both in the round of 64. Man…

I think that 2016 MSU game at Breslin would probably be the best game in itself, but I suppose this one makes sense for the overall context of the season.

Sorry, late response but my source was the 73 Gopher fans I know texting me immediately when it broke…half of which asked if I thought Beilein was a possibility…

2 Likes

I posted this back in January based on my Butler experience. This season is going exactly to script for Holtmann. He will cobble together a coherent team out of all kinds of misfit parts and hit their ceiling super early, then everyone else catches up.

https://forum.umhoops.com/t/mid-january-thoughts-on-the-big-ten/9510/2?u=naptownjazz12

8 Likes

Immediately after watching the game for the first 7-10 minutes it seemed like they looked tired. I don’t see it being an excuse they were playing their 4th game in 8 days. They were in a terrible position 2 weeks ago and have got themselves in position to extend their tourney streak. The last 4 games MSU has been riding Henry/Langford/Watts/Brown a lot because they are still going with a bunch of different bigs. What helps them is they have a reeling Indiana coming in who seems to lack any motivation right now.

1 Like

Agree that they might be tired, even that pointing it out would be legit. Izzo’s lack of grace, refusal to ever acknowledge the other team. . . less appealing.

5 Likes

It may well have been a disadvantage for them to play a tighter schedule than Maryland last week . . . but still, it was very on brand for Izzo to immediately complain about this in the press conference.

Besides, the reason they had that tighter schedule was because they had to make up games from their Covid pause earlier and Maryland didn’t.

2 Likes

Teddy Buckets is leaving Nebraska probably going to be a lottery pick…

6 Likes

perusing some illinois boards and it does not sound like ayo will be back for the um game

1 Like

Hoiberg finding it isn’t so easy when EVERYONE wants transfers and JuCos. So you end up with guys like Cam Mack and Teddy Allen.

8 Likes

Funny you mention him, I was wondering what happened to him and discovered he landed at Prairie View A&M. His shooting numbers and ORtg are still pretty icky but he does have a top-10 steal and assist rate.

A very very good point. Some coaches didn’t like bringing in transfers even a couple years ago, so Hoiberg could get some of the best out there when he wasn’t at a big school. Now, you got Calipari bringing in transfers every year, and just in general it’s now an oversaturated market to where transfers are probably a little over recruited. I think Hoiberg is a great coach, but he’s gonna have to find a way to get talent. Glad he got McGowan, I think they could be solid of Banton comes back. Teddy isn’t really a loss.

2 Likes

yeah sounds like his injury was much worse than just a broken nose

I regret that, and wonder whether there should be some kind of formal inquiry by the B1G? Maybe there’s some conclusive evidence that it wasn’t malicious? Maybe Underwood would be making more noise?

Pretty much impossible to prove intent in that situation.

2 Likes

Mack also ranks second in the country at 8.1 assists per game. I didn’t see that one coming…

That’s an interesting statement to make by Underwood when they put him back out there for the rest of the game after he apparently broke his face. You wonder if he made it worse by playing several minutes at the end of the game.

2 Likes