Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 2)

It may well have been a disadvantage for them to play a tighter schedule than Maryland last week . . . but still, it was very on brand for Izzo to immediately complain about this in the press conference.

Besides, the reason they had that tighter schedule was because they had to make up games from their Covid pause earlier and Maryland didn’t.

2 Likes

Teddy Buckets is leaving Nebraska probably going to be a lottery pick…

6 Likes

perusing some illinois boards and it does not sound like ayo will be back for the um game

1 Like

Hoiberg finding it isn’t so easy when EVERYONE wants transfers and JuCos. So you end up with guys like Cam Mack and Teddy Allen.

8 Likes

Funny you mention him, I was wondering what happened to him and discovered he landed at Prairie View A&M. His shooting numbers and ORtg are still pretty icky but he does have a top-10 steal and assist rate.

A very very good point. Some coaches didn’t like bringing in transfers even a couple years ago, so Hoiberg could get some of the best out there when he wasn’t at a big school. Now, you got Calipari bringing in transfers every year, and just in general it’s now an oversaturated market to where transfers are probably a little over recruited. I think Hoiberg is a great coach, but he’s gonna have to find a way to get talent. Glad he got McGowan, I think they could be solid of Banton comes back. Teddy isn’t really a loss.

2 Likes

yeah sounds like his injury was much worse than just a broken nose

I regret that, and wonder whether there should be some kind of formal inquiry by the B1G? Maybe there’s some conclusive evidence that it wasn’t malicious? Maybe Underwood would be making more noise?

Pretty much impossible to prove intent in that situation.

2 Likes

Mack also ranks second in the country at 8.1 assists per game. I didn’t see that one coming…

That’s an interesting statement to make by Underwood when they put him back out there for the rest of the game after he apparently broke his face. You wonder if he made it worse by playing several minutes at the end of the game.

2 Likes

What a shame. That really sucks. Just in general, but TBH I was kind of almost hoping to lose to Illinois in some sort of imagined 5D chess scenario in which they get to beat us but we still win the conference outright and the loss intensifies our team’s desire to snuff out Sparty’s season.

2 Likes

Probably hard to diagnose in the moment, no? I feel like broken bones you kind of need some kind of x-ray to really know what is going on. If he passed a concussion test and says he can play, I assume he gives it a go.

5 Likes

An injury like that probably takes a few hours to remotely diagnose, if not a full 24 hours.

I think the one thing Illinois has going for it is that the other guys are gaining some valuable minutes with the ball in their hands, and I don’t think the committee will punish the Illini too much for any results without Ayo. I’m guessing it’s most important for him to be back for BTT to get his feet wet in a hurry before the big dance.

2 Likes

Idle question to those with higher mathematical acumen: U-M is the No. 1 seed in the BTT regardless of any remaining outcomes, correct?

Not if Michigan loses every game and Illinois wins every game

6 Likes

Here’s the slow mo of the hit. Worse than I thought. Look at how long the ball is gone and look at that arm and elbow come down on Ayo’s face. I believe the Michigan State player should have been suspended not just ejected as a result of a flagrant 2. It WAS a flagrant 2, but it was worse than that!

Opening line is Michigan -8 1/2 which pretty much has to assume Ayo isn’t playing. I thought the line would be 3 1/2, maybe 4.

7 Likes

I just don’t get why folks think UM needs a loss to get up for MSU. They don’t, it’s MSU, they will be up for them.

11 Likes

I saw that line and was going to mention it. Safe to say Vegas doesn’t expect Ayo to go.