Big Ten Basketball 2020-21 Discussion (Part 2)

from nothing but wings to not enough wings

3 Likes

Unless I’m mixing them up, Ayala is the one that’s good?

Wiggins is a better shooter and better athlete and a much more switchable defender

4 Likes

Some way too early chatter from the spartanhoops guys I know that AJ Hoggard is a good amount ahead of Tyson Walker in early practices. My read is that it says more about where Walker is at than where Hoggard is. Thought everyone here would enjoy that buzz though…

16 Likes

I guess he has the advantage of a year in the system but Hoggard is really bad. That can’t last into the B1G season if they want to compete.

That is probably correct. Plenty of time for Walker to catch up.

6 Likes

Not the news you want to hear if you’re a Spartan fan. State is going to rely on Walker a lot and if he’s a disappointment then it’s hard to see them breaking into the top three of the conference and competing for anything more than a middling tourney bid–which of course would still be a significant improvement over last year. It’s still early though.

5 Likes

How good is this team? I’m really not sure.

1 Like

Losing Wiggins is a massive blow for them. Significantly lowers their ceiling.

2 Likes

I have never heard of any of the bench players. Did any of them get minutes for Maryland last year?

I can guarantee Maryland will be a lot less fun than last year’s iteration. I’m selling my stock on them, no way I trust them as preseason top 25

1 Like

Reese and Cornish are freshmen. Martinez is a transfer from Utah.

Graham was a re-class mid-year enrollee who played limited minutes, Dockery was a freshman who played limited minutes.

Good question on Maryland and also not real sure. But I know that Turgeon’s Maryland teams have either “achieved” or “underachieved” and I don’t see this team running away from the pack. Top 10/15 in the nation is absurd. I could see a back-end Top 25 but again that would probably put them in the “underachieved” bucket.

1 Like

first impression is that’s an awful shooting team. Ayala and Hart put up plenty of attempts but only Scott hits at a high rate.

1 Like

With this many new faces it is impossible to know where they will be. I think this could be a situation where they’re a lot better at the end of the year than the beginning and we’re once again amazed by Turgeon’s ability to get them to “a little better than mediocrity”.

Also, don’t forget that the B10 is going to be a lot more wide open this year with very few obvious contenders and a lot more teams that are in a similar position to Maryland with everyone having to wear game jerseys at practice just so the coach knows their names.

2 Likes

I would say “not particularly”. Not horrible. But low end top 25 seems reasonable. That depth is sad

That’s fine. Not a problem for us if the team that tried to start a fight with our team is overhyped and overrated.

1 Like

Re: Maryland’s transfers in, Martinez deserves a call out. Really came on toward the end of the season and ended up grabbing a decent chunk of minutes as a freshman. Plus blocks and steals, 60% true shooting, was the 120th ranked recruit in his class. FT% suggests he can really shoot it. Think he’s gonna get minutes and if they have anybody to create shots for others he could really help them max out their offensive upside.

1 Like

Re: how good Maryland is, I think they’re pretty much as good as Fatts is? Among their non-Fatts dudes, I think they have 4 B1G average starters in there and then there’s Fatts. If he’s a star, they’re pretty legit. If not, they’re pretty anonymous.

1 Like

Now that the rosters for next season are starting to shape up, I think it’s almost time for 2022 Big Ten Basketball Predictions by the Moving Screen Podcast

1 Like
2 Likes