Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

Yeah I’d agree it’s still better than I expected, particularly with how bad the 3 point shooting has been.

Little Richie is fun when he gets run out of his home gym.

1 Like

If his last name were anything but Pitino I can’t imagine his job would be so safe. Apparently the Minnesota AD is fine with being thoroughly mediocre in basketball. With all the talent in that state that program could/should be really good.

These outcomes

get you these standings

Let’s go!! :wink:

5 Likes

Purdue’s only home conference loss was to Penn State last weekend --> PSU made 14 threes at 54%, and Purdue made 4 threes at 24%. In addition, PSU had 21 assists in that game (compared to 12 for Purdue)… well, well above their season average. No chance in Mackey if the non-ball screen guys aren’t knocking down their good looks

1 Like

Purdue lost at home to Illinois by 17

1 Like

Purdue’s home loss to Illinois was similar in that Illinois shot very well and Purdue was very pedestrian. In fact, the Boilers only got off eight threes in that game which is crazy to imagine.

I haven’t watched Purdue too closely this year, but from afar it seems that they either play out of their minds at home or are just utterly mediocre. We just need to hope we get the latter version

I’ve been taking a look at B10 teams to see how good they’ll be next year…

And Maryland stuck out as interesting. They’ll lose Cowan and Jalen (who are basically their entire team). But. these are their last two recruiting classes:

The Mitchell twins have already transferred, so in two years Maryland will have brought in 1 top 175 recruit (Donta Scott at #145). Might be a dark year for Maryland next year unless they are aggressive in the transfer market.

PG - Ayala - Dockery
SG - Morsell - Smith
SF - Wiggins - Hart
PF - Scott - Lindo
C - Marial - Tomaic

That’s their entire scholarship roster for next year! They are gonna need to hit out of the park in the transfer market to not be one of the worst teams in the B10 I think

4 Likes

Makhi and Makhel… :rofl: :rofl:

I hadn’t realized their recruiting has been so sparse the last 2 years. Turgeon better go deep in the tourney this year cause he needs all the good grace he can get

I expected this scenario to be silly nonsense in terms of likelihood of happening.

Looking at it in detail, it’s actually quite feasible line by line (obviously when you chain the probabilities together it becomes extremely unlikely still), but home teams largely winning with only a couple road upsets, not relying on Nebraska and Northwestern to do anything except one game (other than against each other).

This is not crazy!

If Maryland has a disappointing NCAAT showing and then Maryland doesn’t land a star in the transfer/reclass market (which feels unlikely), I could easily see Turgeon being done after a bad year

Next year could be an interesting one in the conference. Maryland loses a ton, Michigan State loses Winston (and nothing else if they’re lucky…), and Penn State loses Stevens and Watkins. All without major impact recruiting classes coming in - MSU’s is good but I don’t see Hoggard, Watts and Loyer as a big ten championship level backcourt even if they bring all the other pieces back.

Almost everybody else in the conference could be really really good. I thought this year was rough, next year will be a bloodbath.

Iowa loses nothing if Garza returns and might get Bohannon back.

Illinois should return Ayo, Kofi, Giorgi and Trent Frazier, along with a nice recruiting class.

Ohio State could lose just Andre Wesson.

Wisconsin loses Pritzl but will have five key returning seniors in Trice, Davison, Reuvers, Potter and Ford.

Rutgers should only lose Yeboah.

Purdue should lose just Proctor and Boudreaux, but bring back Eastern, Haarms, Williams, Hunter, Stefanovic and two top 100 incoming freshmen.

Indiana loses DeVante Green but if TJD returns, they’ll be solid.

Minnesota should get their top 4 leading scorers back (Oturu, Carr, Kalscheur, Willis) and they add Jamal Mashburn Jr who’s a top 100 recruit.

It wouldn’t surprise me if those 8 teams + Michigan and MSU are all top 25 teams for the majority of next season.

You think Ayo returns?

They have either Ayo or Adam Miller

I’m not so sure Ayo and Oturu are back next year. We will see

2 Likes

I do personally. I think he’s an improved jumper away from being a NPOY candidate and a potential lottery pick. And I think he’s fully capable of adding that before making the jump and risking going undrafted

Dude tested the waters last year, I’d be shocked if her returned. Also would be surprised if Oturu returned

1 Like

I would say everyone involved expects Ayo to enter the NBA Draft. Think it would be a pretty big shock if he came back.

10 Likes

I think Kaleb Wesson will leave. He’s done exactly what he was told to do last spring to improve his body.

3 Likes