Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

Maryland is a miracle game winning shot away from an 0-4 collapse in their last four…you don’t say. I know Michigan isn’t playing their best ball…but it’s Mark Turgeon with a championship share on the line - I will be sprinkling a little something on the Wolverines moneyline this weekend.

2 Likes

And ho-hum… Iowa v Purdue now. Pinch me.

I really don’t want MSU to win the BIG. I really hope we don’t play them in the quarters of the BTT.

MSU can’t lose on Sunday. If they do it’ll be devastating for them. Probably as devastating as it was for us losing the last game of the season last year.

1 Like

It’s legitimately stunning to me that Greg Gard took a Wisconsin team that was 7-5 in non-conference play with some baaaad losses and is gonna split a conference title with wins on the road against Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

5 Likes

Just like it was for Michigan in 2013?

I feel like it is pretty easy to re-focus when the postseason starts.

1 Like

Man I was bashing Gard and Cooley like crazy and both of them have hardly lost in 2020

1 Like

Of course. I’m just talking about regular season implications though.

So you are being sarcastic? I just don’t think it will have any kind of devastating effect on them (I presume you meant moving forward) because you just go into something else to play for.

I don’t think Michigan losing at MSU last year had a devastating effect on Michigan.

No I wasn’t being sarcastic. I’m just saying, losing that game will likely lose them the conference title on senior night, which will be devastating in terms of that itself, as it was for us last year having let it slip away (it was also devastating to lose the BTT Final).

My overarching point was that it doesn’t seem like there’s anyway MSU would let that game slip away.

I can’t remember ever seeing a conference with more coaches worthy of Coach of the Year. Gard, Underwood, Piekell and Chambers all have truly great cases. No one’s talking about McCaffery, but considering their record with the injuries they’ve had, in a normal year he’d likely get consideration too.

2 Likes

Gard or Underwood if they win a share should get it.

Chambers has no case.

1 Like

Yup Chambers lost his case for the award. If Wisconsin gets a share I think it has to go to Gard.

1 Like

Totally agree. Those buys are the ones I may pick to S16 and beyond

1 Like

Also please don’t forget the incredible accomplishment from Tom Izzo to take the #1 ranked team in the country preseason and have them clicking in March once again, winning five of their last nine games. Tough to top that rags to riches story narrative-wise for coach of the year

7 Likes

Same but I’m flipping Wisconsin and Illinois. Something about Ayo’s game just screams clutch shots in March to me, and they’ve won four straight gutsy games even though they haven’t played great. Wisconsin, despite their success just makes no sense to me - I don’t see the talent.

And of course a COY should always be one who viciously berates his players on national TV and practically gets in a fight with his best player!

3 Likes

His groundbreaking “I’m gonna break your f***ing neck” motivational tactics deserve international recognition.

4 Likes