B1G Tourney seeding

Here are the official tie breaking rules.

I just want Iowa to lose so Michigan ends up in the bottom bracket. I have tix.

Trying to talk myself into the bright side of this imminent big ten tourney 8 seed. Beat Illinois in game one and knowing weā€™re in the NCAA tourney, we get another chance at the only quality win available in the conference. That or we lose to Purdue and have a week of rest before the big dance.

One more win, and we would probably be playing for the double bye on Sunday. Honestly, Illinois is probably the last team I wanted to see in the bottom half. They have a ton of seniors and seem to have found something these last few weeks.

I agree that Illinois is playing well, but Michigan whooped em at home (game wasnā€™t as close as the final score) and Iā€™m not sure that itā€™s a bad match-up really.

The problem with the 8-9 game is that you get Purdue on Friday. If you want to win the thing, you probably have to beat Purdue, but donā€™t want that in the 2nd game.

2 Likes

I think the absolute best case would be a 7 against OSUā€¦I know we dropped the game at home and looked bad doing it, but I think that motivation will serve well. Plus, I donā€™t want Indiana for the 3rd time, whether theyā€™re being held together by band-aids or not.

That puts a win and a chance for a winnable game against Wisconsin.

Realistically, just get one more win and weā€™re in, but if the balls bounce the right way, the team is good enough to catch fire and go deep in the B1G tourney. Or you know, they can blow a game in OT/final minuteā€¦

1 Like

I think you could argue we match up pretty damn well with Purdue

OSU is a bad matchup for U-M. They completely took Michigan out of its offenseā€”at Crisler. Almost three-fourths of our FGAs in that game were threes, which is nuts.

Even though Illinois is surging and rates higher than OSU on D in Kenpom, we know Michigan can get its shots against them, since weā€™ve seen it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s trueā€“I guess Iā€™m just nervous about playing an Illinois team thatā€™s desperate.

Iā€™d be the happiest man on earth if we ended Illinois tournament hopes. No doubt in my mind we could beat them. We havenā€™t forgotten those white collar comments.

2 Likes

I agree. And I just think weā€™re a better team than Illinois. With the game being at a neutral site, Iā€™d feel pretty good about our chances to win.

1 Like

The last game we took advantage of the matchup between Wagner and Swanigan/Haas. I donā€™t think we can realistically expect a repeat performance like that from Wagner. On top of that Haas kind of had a poor game. He missed a good amount of easy bunnies in the first half. In general it seems like a daunting task to attempt to hold their two big guys in check for another game.

I think we could certainly win, especially if we execute the double team as well as we did last time, but Iā€™d much rather play Wisconsin/Maryland/Minnesota in the second round.

Agreed, Wagner pretty much canā€™t play better than he did. But Swanigan and Haas cannot guard him or DJ. I bet Purdue fans are dreading seeing us in that 1/8 game.

I still canā€™t get over that weā€™re going to finish 8th in the weakest big ten of all time. Just had to win one of those three overtime games. Or the refs at Kohl. OSU @ home. So frustrating looking back on it.

2 Likes

For clarity:

6 seed with a win, Maryland win, Northwestern win, and Iowa loss (5.9%)
7 seed with a win, Iowa loss, and either MSU or Purdue win (11.9%)
8 seed with a loss or Iowa win (82.2%)

1 Like

As a team they missed a ton of point blank shots. A lot of it was our guys playing good d and not giving up/ altering their shots but Iā€™d prefer not to play Purdue again. They still got a lot of nice looks on us. We also hit all our shots. Id really like to avoid them again.

But dj and Wagner guard themselves a lot. Moe with foul trouble and dj with effort

please god, 6 or 7.

You man: please PENN STATE

1 Like

from your mouth to godā€™s ears.

I want Illinois every time. We need that white collar boost lol