B-Ball Recruits Visiting for Football Games No Longer a Positive?

My opinion is that Hoke absolutely knew Morris was not physically able to perform in that football game and forced him to play anyway.

Why in the world would he do that? He certainly knows his job is on the line.

Beyond that, what does he gain by keeping Morris in the game? He had 49 yards passing. Why would he “force” him to play? And Morris wanted to play. He wasn’t forced to play.

No, he was forced to play after he was initially taken out of the game because Hoke did not want to waste a TO with the Bellomy helmet fiasco. I can’t speak as to why he do would such a thing, only Hoke can answer that question. Why in the world would RR continue to run a 3-3-5 when he certainly knew his job was on the line? Why would Dave Brandon continue to support Hoke in what was negligence at the very least, when he certainly knows his job is on the line?

This is very frustrating to me, I mean seriously, the evidence of negligence and disregard is visible for all to see…how some can defend Hoke is beyond me. How in the hell can anybody say in good faith that Hoke had no clue that Morris was not fit to re-enter that football game? You have a HUGE replay monitor, the students booing as soon as Morris put his helmet back on…there is simply no way the man wasn’t aware that Morris was not fit to enter that game. Hoke doesn’t strike me as the brightest bulb, but certainly has enough intellect to be aware of that type of situation given his experience. This inclination to defend any and everything UM related is almost sickening given the context at issue here.

Dave Brandon:

"In the fourth quarter, Shane took a significant hit and stumbled after getting up. From the field level and without the benefit of replays, medical and coaching staffs did not see the hit. Because they did not see the hit, the athletic training staff believed Shane stumbled because of his ankle injury. The team neurologist, watching from further down the field, also did not see the hit. However, the neurologist, with expertise in detecting signs of concussion, saw Shane stumble and determined he needed to head down the sideline to evaluate Shane.

Shane came off the field after the following play and was reassessed by the head athletic trainer for the ankle injury. Since the athletic trainer had not seen the hit to the chin and was not aware that a neurological evaluation was necessary, he cleared Shane for one additional play.

The neurologist and other team physicians were not aware that Shane was being asked to return to the field, and Shane left the bench when he heard his name called and went back into the game. Under these circumstances, a player should not be allowed to re-enter the game before being cleared by the team physician. This clearly identifies the need for improvements in our sideline and communications processes.

Following the game, a comprehensive concussion evaluation was completed and Shane has been evaluated twice since the game. As of Sunday, Shane was diagnosed with a probable, mild concussion, and a high ankle sprain. That probable concussion diagnosis was not at all clear on the field on Saturday or in the examination that was conducted post-game. Unfortunately, there was inadequate communication between our physicians and medical staff and Coach Hoke was not provided the updated diagnosis before making a public statement on Monday. This is another mistake that cannot occur again."

Absolute garbage - does this clown really expect us to believe that not one individual - not Hoke, not the neurologist, not the team physicians, not the assistant coaches, were aware that Morris likely suffered a concussion after that hit? I mean, the players, namely Justice Hayes and the offensive lineman were clearly signalling to the coaching staff that Morris was injured at the very minimum…I’m actually embarrassed to say that I’m a UM alumni the way this transpired…this smells of totaly conspiracy to cover up an obvious lack of proper judgment and disregard for player safety.

Downright disgusting

A megalomaniac who somehow still believes he can retain his job. As I said earlier it won’t be long now Matt. They’re both gone, and even darker days lay ahead for the program. Anybody still worried about holding onto potential recruits? Thank goodness for JB.

President and Board of Regents meeting this morning to discuss the matter…hopefully the proper thing is done.

how some can defend Hoke is beyond me. How in the hell can anybody say in good faith that Hoke had no clue that Morris was not fit to re-enter that football game? You have a HUGE replay monitor, the students booing as soon as Morris put his helmet back on.................there is simply no way the man wasn't aware that Morris was not fit to enter that game. Hoke doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb, but certainly has enough intellect to be aware of that type of situation given his experience. This inclination to defend any and everything UM related is almost sickening given the context at issue here.

To be very clear, I am not defending Hoke…I think he and Brandon should be fired today (and, as an alum, I signed the petition for the latter)…but I do think it was Hoke’s incompetence rather than willful neglect that led to Morris going back in the game. There’s just no reason Hoke would “force” Morris to play with a concussion. Still a fireable offense, but not evil.

The situation is getting uglier by the day. First Hoke denies any contact with DB after the incident during his Monday press conf but now confirms he absolutely spoke to DB in the aftermath per today’s big teleconference. Lies and conspiracy…UM is handling this very poorly.

The guy is lying on top of lies in an effort to save face, making himself and the university look foolish in the process. Some integrity he has…

I am embarrassed and I look forward to sweeping them out, fixing our internal processes, and moving forward again as a football program attached to a university that wants to do the right thing above all else.

This is going to get very ugly, very quick if the President/Regents don’t take action quickly

Ok, I agree that what transpired on Saturday was terribly incompetent and showed low concern for player safety, but I think the whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. There’s so much sensationalism going on right now.

Exactly. People don’t seem to remember Will Gholston being knocked the f out cold and went back into the game a few minutes later. Discussion on that lasted about 3 minutes…cause MD was nowhere near the hotseat.

We like to make fun of MSU when they don’t get the same level of national attention as Michigan does for positive things. We shouldn’t be surprised when the same is true for negative things. It comes with the territory.

On a different note, I’d rather Michigan gets this right even if others don’t. Leaders and Best, and all.

For all of you saying Hoke didn’t act with willful disregard - sideline observer confirms Hoke was informed by trainers and assistant coaches that Morris needed to come out and Hoke failed to comply. Geez this situation is utterly disgusting

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/terry-foster/2014/09/30/foster-plenty-blame-go-around-um-debacle/16507389/

Exactly. People don't seem to remember Will Gholston being knocked the f out cold and went back into the game a few minutes later. Discussion on that lasted about 3 minutes...cause MD was nowhere near the hotseat.

No offense, but this is tantamount to saying “well, he did it too”. We just need to worry about getting things right at UM rather than rationalizing the mistakes that occurred by making comparisons to institutions that are widely considered to be compromised in the areas of integrity and character.

I agree with that. I just think this all blown out of proportion because everyone(me included) want Hoke out.

I just think Hoke is a desperate coach that made a desperate decision. I honestly believe the guy knew Shane wasn’t fit to play and just didn’t give a damn in that particular moment. Whether it is blown out of proportion is obviously a very subjective question. I think we’re all unanimous in our desire for Hoke to be fired though…he is doing nothing positive for UM regardless of the whole stupidity/intent distinction

This also can’t be an all or nothing situation. If he isn’t fired now, he sure as hell better still be punished.

Is it even remotely possible that Brandon delayed his midnight update on Shane’s concussion because he was trying to influence the medical team’s diagnosis behind the scenes? This is going to get bizarre IMO unless a silent buyout is in the works. They’re both gone and deservedly so. I don’t care if our next AD-Coach is a Michigan Man or the Michelin Man as long as he can coach and lead. This megalomaniac ( watching game film with the coaches?) has got to be removed.

Judging by the recent meeting of the regents Dave Brandon’s job is in serious jeopardy right now. Some, especially Regent Bernstein, were very vocal about their concerns about him.