B-Ball Recruits Visiting for Football Games No Longer a Positive?

Some insight as to why Hoke will survive the season - buyout is $3m at any point prior to 1/1/15, while it is $2m at any point after.

Lot of moving parts behind the scenes. This could get ugly very quickly. I have never seen M take so much National heat as today. If Morris truly is “concussed” ( that was a brutal targeting, and should result in games ) and Brady continues to claim he didn’t see him struggling to support himself, and then RETURNING him to the game after Gardner’s helmet incident, he must be blind. My gosh at what point did the medical team think he needed to be removed? This could spiral out of control very fast, and if attendance starts to fade nothing is off the table. I know Ross has super pull, but 1 million extra isn’t going to faze the Sharks who smell blood and have had enough. There is EXTREME venom out there after this. Brandon better keep his friends close and his enemies closer.

$1 million is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. If you wait until after the 1st of next year to fire him, we will only give the new coach about a month to solidify his recruiting class

Teske must have accidentally gone to a Delaware game or something.

Had another great visit at the University of Michigan today. #GoBlue

— Jon Teske (@JonTeske) September 28, 2014

Dozier’s last tweet was just a pregame picture of Michigan stadium. I’ll keep an eye out for any word on his visit and post it here.

I don’t think that the football game’s outcome makes that much difference, and they did honor last years B1G champs. Recruits often don’t stay the whole game anyway. I’d be more concerned about the football recruits.

Yeah but I needed a way to make it about basketball to post it here, so I had to mention the basketball recruits too!

It definitely doesn’t help…if I was a recruit, I may not care about a win or a loss, but if I heard boos, I wouldn’t be the most excited about the environment/fan base.

Not to mention the handling of injured players, and the attendance issues. Even though it doesn’t reflect the basketball way, I agree with Burke_Does_Work, nothing positive is coming out of it.

He’ll survive the season for two reasons: (1) we don’t do business that way; and (2) we will lose all our recruits if we have two months of uncertainty (if not more) regarding the 2015 head coach.

Hoke is no doubt done, but they need to manage this very carefully. You can’t leave him twisting in the wind for two months after the season ends while Brandon engages in “the process.” You have to can him right after the OSU game, and be prepared to hire a new coach within a week or two, so he can keep current recruits in the fold and add some new ones before signing day. That probably rules out the Harbaugh’s, but that’s a longshot anyway.

That would be an utter disaster if our joke of a football program started to affect our elite basketball program and its recruiting. That would truly be rock bottom.

He'll survive the season for two reasons: (1) we don't do business that way; and (2) we will lose all our recruits if we have two months of uncertainty (if not more) regarding the 2015 head coach.

Hoke is no doubt done, but they need to manage this very carefully. You can’t leave him twisting in the wind for two months after the season ends while Brandon engages in “the process.” You have to can him right after the OSU game, and be prepared to hire a new coach within a week or two, so he can keep current recruits in the fold and add some new ones before signing day. That probably rules out the Harbaugh’s, but that’s a longshot anyway.

The way “his” recruits have performed, it wouldn’t bother me a bit to lose every one of them ( as if they aren’t already planning their flip now ). John Harbaugh has to be approached behind the scenes ( already is ) and be ready to take over as soon as the Ravens season is over. He would kill in recruiting, and the momentum and excitement he would generate would cascade through all elements of the program. Hoke is a good man that can’t coach a lick ( we are sorely out game planned EVERY week ) is over his head, and was miscast from the beginning. Recruiting should never be a worry at M in the long run.

As it relates to (2) - will lose recruits regardless once Hoke is fired. Some kids commit to a coach rather than the school.

This program is at the precipice as it exists today. We have had top 15 recruiting ( or higher ) classes every year since 2004, and have won how many Big Ten titles? We desperately need a real coach. I’m with you Matt, I’m not the least bit worried about “salvaging” any remnants of a Hoke recruiting class by a timely hire. We need a COACH, period. Results will have kids beating down your door. If you can’t recruit at M, you can’t recruit period.

Look on the bright side - maybe this is all a positive because Beilein is revered more and more with every football loss. Maybe people are appreciating basketball more and it’s no longer taking such a back seat to football?

Just trying to find silver linings here…

Its tough with so many top kids coming from the south. How many top 300 recruits are coming out of M or O in 2015 and 2016. Not saying Hoke should stay but the B1G overall seems to be on the decline for football. Not so in hoops, the dynamics are quite different.

This could be a tough stretch…need a QB and a coach!

We are so flawed in every phase of the game, I don’t know how you couldn’t put the blame on the coaching. At the end of the day, Hoke is responsible for how his team performs on Saturdays and right now, it’s like watching the Jaguars play in the NFL.

As it relates to (2) - will lose recruits regardless once Hoke is fired. Some kids commit to a coach rather than the school.

I don’t want any kid who would want to play the Hoke anyway.

Drew Hallet is calling for Hokes immediate firing in his article on SB Nation ( Maize and Brew ) for his agregious handling of an obviously injured and potentially concussed Morris. He crucifys Hoke. This isn’t going away, and it shouldn’t. Horrible.

Look on the bright side - maybe this is all a positive because Beilein is revered more and more with every football loss. Maybe people are appreciating basketball more and it's no longer taking such a back seat to football?

Just trying to find silver linings here…

Speaking as someone who already looks up to Beilein, I don’t know if we really want to have him “revered” more and more. All coaches should be accountable, and while Beilein’s track record is much better than Hoke’s relatively speaking, lets not talk ourselves into putting more pressure on Beilein than there already is. Maybe that’s not what you were going for with this comment anyway though…