Assorted Notes

Having 5 frontcourt players in back to back classes doesn't seem smart.

It is when they are the only bigmen on the roster next year, none of them are proven, one is a redshirt and another can play the 3.

Well, not quite We have one center and one stretch 4, neither of which has played a minute yet. Even if both end up being quality players (which is by no means a sure thing), if one gets hurt, we have no frontline depth at all for the next two years unless we land a big in 2015.

Yes, Beilien is always going to play a small lineup. He’s not going to recruits bigs like Duke or Kentucky or Kansas. But we’re even thinner up front now than we were last year. Interior defense was one of our biggest weaknesses last season, and we’ve done nothing to address it, now or in the future.

Why do people insist on calling Donnal a stretch 4 when he will play the 5 his entire time at Michigan?

Totally agree. Donnal plays 4 only if he can defend on the parameters.

I don’t think that we absolutely need a 5 in 2015, but it does not hurt to add an elite post player.

It is when they are the only bigmen on the roster next year, none of them are proven, one is a redshirt and another can play the 3.

Wilson can’t play the 3. And adding a 2015 bigman won’t change the youth.

Yeah I don’t know what them not being proven has to do with it… They haven’t played a single minute… A decision on 2015 bugs will be made before we find out what we initially have in Doyle and Donnal… If JB doesn’t like what he sees in Europe I’m sure he will change his strategy but there is no sense in adding another big just to add a big

They aren’t going to land an elite big so then who’s to say the second tier big would even crack the rotation ahead of Donnal and Doyle… Could sit for 3 years behind them

People just like to panic about what they haven’t seen… Donnal and Doyle should be a good foundation and as Wilson adds strength he will be another freshman big that could play the 4 or 5 depending on lineup

I know right? Need more bigs. Nobody we have is proven. The answer? Recruit more of them as if they are the answer. Not great reasoning.

Who said Wilson? I was talking about Chatman. Either way, the Michigan coaches clearly disagree with you as they are still recruiting 2015 bigs.

Who said Wilson? I was talking about Chatman. Either way, the Michigan coaches clearly disagree with you as they are still recruiting 2015 bigs.

They recruit bigs every year and the staff has already said skipping a big in 2015 is very possible lol

“They recruit bigs every year and the staff has already said skipping a big in 2015 is very possible lol”

That would be news to me. The staff isn’t allowed to publically comment on recruits so I doubt they said anything like that.

Wilson can play the 3 and 2 if needed.

Having 5 frontcourt players in back to back classes doesn’t seem smart.

"They recruit bigs every year and the staff has already said skipping a big in 2015 is very possible lol"

That would be news to me. The staff isn’t allowed to publically comment on recruits so I doubt they said anything like that.

How is saying what positions they are targeting, “commenting on a recruit”?

Wilson can play the 3 and 2 if needed.

Maybe in candyland

They cant publicly speak about a Named recruit but they can speak on a position of need.

“They recruit bigs every year and the staff has already said skipping a big in 2015 is very possible lol”

COULD we manage with just two bigs rotating through one spot on the floor for the next two seasons? In theory, yes. We did it last year, though with more experienced players in those spots, and an offense that put up record-setting efficiency numbers. The question is, why would we want to? It certainly wasn’t the coaches plan last year…they had it forced on them by McGary’s injury problems. It really was not the plan for this year, either, but Horford’s somewhat unexpected departure put us in a position that we’ll just have to cope with. But for 2015-16, not making a strong effort to land another big just doesn’t make sense.

Aside from the fact that we don’t know whether Doyle and Donnal will be solid, consistent performers over the next few years, we also don’t know if they’ll be foul- prone or injury-prone. Having them be the only two guys on the roster who can really bang inside and go up against other team’s bigs really limits us, especially against teams like Arizona, Kentucky and Louisville. Interior defense was this team’s biggest weakness last year, and to do nothing to address it is crazy.

And no, we don’t need to recruit more and more and more bigs for next year just because we can’t be absolutely sure how any of them will do. At some point, you have to go with what you’ve got. Obviously, dude. But we do need to make every effort to bring in one quality big for 2015.

"They recruit bigs every year and the staff has already said skipping a big in 2015 is very possible lol"

I don’t know if the staff said that, but they can comment on recruiting - just not on specific recruits.

Show me one link where the staff said they might skip a big in 2015. Never happened.

Show me one link where the staff said they might skip a big in 2015. Never happened.

I swear I read a quote from Beilein in the past couple months where he basically said it’s a big in either 2015 or 2016, but I’m having a heck of a time finding it. I think the implication was there was no rush to get another big. And it was after the Horford transfer and McGary declaring was known. I’ll keep looking if I have time…found it. See last paragraph of this article. I think it’s a free one.
https://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1639002&PT=4&PR=2

6/6 G/F 2015 Danjel Purifoy tells me Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, UAB among those working hardest

— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) July 11, 2014

John Beilein of Michigan watching Prince Ali

— Jerry Meyer (@jerrymeyer247) July 12, 2014

Yep. Big weekend for him. I’m a big fan of his game. I think he has a lot of tools and sounds like he’s still improving. Definitely one to watch. Arizona State offered too.

Scout has an article on “Poyser” saying he “holds interest” from Michigan amongst others.

http://michigan.scout.com/story/1420979-intrigue-surrounds-poyser-s-recruitment?s=162

A little digging makes me think that this is Jalen Poyser (3rd Jalen in the 2015 class). 6-4 SG from Findlay Prep (NV). Funny enough, the article doesn’t seem to mention his first name. Not sure how serious the interest is, but if true, I would think this is a backup plan to Davis, Coleman, and the other targets that popped up recently (Milton, Williams, Prince Ali).