2024 Olympic Basketball

Haven’t really watched much the men play a whole lot so far but seems to me like Derrick White should unlock all of these lineups that look kind of wonky. And Kerr is basically not playing him and nobody is letting him shoot?

It prob doesn’t matter bc talent but yeah I dk.

Sudan made lots of shots but I thought the defensive effort was bad, which doesn’t really shock me given the age and defensive indifference (at least more recently in their careers) of some of the guys

Idk, I don’t really like this team as much as I respect the individuals

The US has never lost a tournament in the pro era because they didn’t have the most talented team - if we do stupid stuff and treat it like a junket, we’ll lose

he’s not gonna shoot when he’s on the floor with like Tatum/Ant or Lebron/Steph. Just the way it is I guess. Even Hali barely gets any shots up. In fact I don’t think Hali took a shot today

This sort of thing is “how we lose” (not saying we will, but playing offense 4 on 5 because Derek White isn’t famous isn’t really a think other countries do)

2 Likes

right yeah it has nothing to do with fame but I agree with the point. Also no other team has 11 guys that think they’re better than Derrick White either. The whole thing is a chemistry/continuity experiment which I personally find extremely interesting and entertaining

Also I’m not convinced Derrick White is the cure all. Certainly was not the way he was deployed today at least, which was primarily in Haliburton’s stead

In general I would think a close loss like this is only a positive overall for the team. they got to work on late game stuff and saw that a 3 point variance game could knock them out

1 Like

Stupid Q: what are the unwritten rules of roster construction here? Like, most guys have to get basically the same playing time unless you’re Derrick White and don’t have clout, right? Is there anything else?

Pretty much any non late roster add gets 8ish minutes at least. Starters rarely play more than 25, though Durant in 2021 as near 30 MPG as he really carried the team at times

1 Like

Are they hockey line changing? Feel like I can’t say much just box score peeping bc the constraints that norms + Kerr put on this thing feel onerous.

They have been, yes. Almost exclusively. That seems like a choice based on the amount of AS level players on the team and an attempt to build more specific chemistry within the team

I have a minutes breakdown of every major US team since 2008 if anyone is interested :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I did get the sense that you’re a nutjob about USA MBB which I ofc respect immensely

Was Brunson available over Haliburton?

This was a warmup exhibition game right?

2 Likes

Dame
Kyrie
Jimmy
Paolo
Paul George
Kawhi
Jaylen Brown
Brunson
Maxey
Mitchell
Towns
Zion
JJJ

Would they beat the real team USA??

Halliburton massively outplayed him in the World Cup last year. Hali is a better fit

No that team is worse and an even bigger chemistry disaster :joy:

1 Like

No Hali. They lose by at least 100. Probably closer to 1000.

Well they finished 4th which was deemed a failure. Just from some interviews from Haliburton he’s come off as real arrogant. Pretty much made disparaging comments about the same team he was on last year. Haliburton is a very good player but he’s still extremely young and comes off as immature.

Then that should tell you how bad Brunson was

I am mainly talking about how he doesn’t care to own anything. Doesn’t come off as a good teammate imo. The whole group stunk imo.

Canada with a convincing win over Puerto Rico. Murray was back and playing. Their defense has been great during tune up games.