2022 NBA Draft Discussion

Why can’t I imagine Eli Brooks landing at any other place besides the Pacers lol? I can already see it, Indiana Pacers legend Eli Brooks, record holder of 10 consecutive first round playoff exits. Root

1 Like

The last line reads funny without adding “multiple.”

Moussa can guard positions, what a valuable trait!

1 Like

8 points in 9 seconds, son.

Keegan Murray every bit the shooter off movement I expected. Chet not getting muscled around by Kofi or Tacko Fall (blocked both of them) and knocking down threes off behind the back dribbles. This could be a pretty good draft class.

3 Likes
10 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2022 NBA Summer League Open Thread

Just an early update on some takes given here:

Banchero: 24/7.5/3 and a block on 56.2% true shooting

Holmgren: N/A obviously

Smith: 14.5/7.5/1 with a block on 49% true shooting - his inefficiency is funny, his three point stroke is ok (35%), but he’s shooting 34% from 2, largely due to a 16+ foot two-pointer heavy shot chart

Murray: 18/5 on 66% true shooting

Ivey: 16/4/5.5 on 56.5% true shooting

Mathurin: 21/5/2 on 59% true shooting

Pretty strong start, outside Smith (and obviously Chet) for the starting guys. After that part in the draft, we get to reserves, but still pretty good:

Sharpe: 8/3 in 15 mins a game, 58% true shooting

Daniels’ stats aren’t worth discussing, as its only 24 mins total, but he’s done well (he missed their first 3 games)

Sochan, I got to watch and I will say his offensive stats aren’t great, but he’s a real, real problem as a defender

Johnny Davis, Ousmane Dieng, Ochai Agbaji, and Mark Williams aren’t rotation players, and Jalen Williams broke his orbital bone in his first game

We all know Duren is off to a good start

That rounds out the lottery.

Walker Kessler doing a 5/5 and 1.5 blocks in 12 minutes probably worth noting.

1 Like

This is exactly what he was at Auburn too, FWIW.

1 Like

Yeah, his shot diet was the largest criticism of his draft prospects, as I recall (a feeling he settled for long twos too easily). Did he shoot this poorly from two?

Also - Murray’s pretty seamless transition to a mid-usage absurd efficiency offensive player with everyone praising his offensive IQ is not at all shocking given what we saw last year, but given the scout on him after his freshman year…pretty funny.

Yeah, he never got to the rim and still doesn’t get to the rim. It’s not really shot selection, I just don’t really think he’s good enough to create his own offense at the rim (right now or in the recent past).

The “not being good enough to create his own offense at the rim” was certainly the argument of his detractors. I guess the hope was that he could play center, but what I’ve heard about his NBA defense isn’t very good (to be fair, its not for any of these guys outside Sochan and Kessler).

I think a lot of teams will be happy with their picks. Just about all of the ones you listed above feel like they are in good situations and suit their team needs. Keegan Murray would do well in Detroit, but the Pistons really needed more athleticism.

1 Like

Keegan Murray is the perfect role player for any team but for teams who are desperate for stars, Murray isn’t the right pick. Ivey is the right pick for the Pistons because he gives them the athleticism that they lacked as you said in your post.

1 Like

If Murray keeps shooting like he’s showed he can be a star

5 Likes

It’s praise and he’s not there yet, but offensively he looks somewhat Bosh-y

1 Like

This shows my overall level of ignorance with the NBA-level talent in college, but it feels like there should be more than 6 college teams with more NBA talent than Michigan this year. I understand Jett gets buzz but that isnt even the best NBA prospect in the league (guessing thats JHS). Who else are we thinking about? Youssef? Kobe? Llewellyn? Certainly not HD at this point…

3 Likes

You’d think that Alabama, who has Brandon Miller (one of the current highest ranked college prospects) would be over Michigan just by virtue of having him, ditto South Carolina with GG Jackson. Its not like either team has more than that, but I’m not sure who is holding Michigan’s rating up…FSU has Baba Miller. Indiana with Trayce and Hood-Schifano? I mean, I don’t see a Michigan player in most mocks.

3 Likes

The nba scouts look at who is the Michigan HC.
You guys all know how highly Juwan is thought of in the nba.:wink:

3 Likes

Mike is a huge Kobe fan going back to HS. I’m guessing Kobe is the primary reason he has them listed at all.