2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Juwan has been very good about holding onto players, one might argue possibly to the detriment of the team. The way this season is heading however, means attrition is bound to happen. I don’t think its likely to be Caleb Houstan either but it is something we need to be expecting to happen.

1 Like

Hit that transfer market HARD. Go get the best shooter in the portal.

1 Like

Not necessarily especially if Diabate/Dickinson are in the game and since those 3 have been starting for 6 weeks now it’s really hampered him. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that one of Houstan’s best games came when Diabate really didn’t play at all against SDSU. There haven’t been many clear lanes to the hoop with Diabate/Dickinson are on the floor.

I don’t think Houstan playing the three would be a problem for him, right? It’s basically impossible to really project what the other 4 spots look like for U-M next year until we see how the roster plays out. I don’t think there’s a single spot that has a guaranteed return starter based on what’s been established, and potential attrition.

For me, Houstan back as a sophomore would make a lot of sense because it’s pretty clear the physical limitations are the biggest blocker to him being successful. Those would be addressed to some extent and he would be in a lot better position to be more effective, IMO.

3 Likes

I’m not saying the numbered position he plays will be a problem, I’m saying the lack of shooters and shot creators around him isn’t likely to improve based on next year’s projected roster and him being asked to be both of those things isn’t going to change. I agree 100% him getting stronger and addressing physical limitations is the biggest thing he needs to do (beyond make shots) and both of those are within his control whether he stays in school or not.

You’ve mentioned guys are being stretched thin and asked to do more than they’re comfortable - that’s essentially my point. The state of this roster (and likely next year’s) is asking Caleb to do things that aren’t helping his draft stock (example - be the only non Eli-Brooks three point shooting threat, be a threat off the dribble when offense breaks down because Brooks/Jones aren’t high volume isolation threats). If Caleb was able to play Livers’ role last year on that team he probably looks a lot better and his stock is closer to where it was preseason.

I mean, that depends entirely on who is on next year’s team. Michigan has 3 NBA decisions and will have some other attrition IMO. That will also probably lead to some additions.

We know that Jett Howard will be on the team and that’s one added shooter. And I wouldn’t bet against him playing :wink:

I just think that the roster could still go in so many different directions based on who comes and goes and who is added that it is impossible to really say what type of team U-M will have.

If you end up starting Bufkin-Houstan-Howard, I’d say that’s a way better shooting group all around. If you end up starting Houstan-Williams-Diabate at the 2-3-4, maybe not :wink:

If you get bigs back with NBA decisions, you are probably adding to the backcourt. If both bigs go, you are probably adding to the frontcourt. Those are just the type of moving pieces I’m trying to get at.

5 Likes

I realize it’s not how these decisions are made but the idea that this team that 1-6 in Q1 and Q2 games has three guys ready to play NBA hoops next year makes me sigh deeply.

4 Likes

Easier said than done obviously. That person is going to look at a roster than might have Jett, Houstan, TWill, Bufkin, Barnes, etc and maybe go elsewhere.

Long way to go before we know what the needs even are, but currently I think priority number one is looking for someone who can play and defend the 2 position and almost needs to have the ability to play either some 1 or some 3. Kobe and Zeb can’t be the only players in the roster between 5-11 and 6-6 who can plausibly play and defend the 2. Maybe it is an Eli-like player who can play as a 2 and some 1…or maybe a Chaundee who can play 2 and 3. I would be tempted to prioritize shooting if you can but if you told me you could find a lockdown defender like I might be interested after looking at those efficiency numbers earlier today

2 Likes

I mean we don’t have a single player who would get minutes barring another Covid season, but Houstan and Diabate would make rosters, yeah.