2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I really hate feeling like I’m piling on Scottie Barnes as a bust candidate…but geez it is hard not to feel that way about a guy who doesn’t have a clear position and literally can’t shoot. The Ringer gave that pick a B+ and says…

Barnes is the type of player who impacts winning. He plays hard constantly. He defends across positions. There’s a Draymond Green vibe to the way he impacts defense and how he facilitates on offense. Barnes ran the point for Florida State as a freshman and did a good job of it despite his size and lack of shooting ability. The Raptors hope Barnes can improve his shot, but he has more than enough winning qualities as is.

I do think Barnes is a fun player and not a bad guy to have on your team…but #4 overall? Also, the whole “winning” thing to me is sort of a nice narrative to paper over his limitations. FSU was good last year, but he only started 7 games, averaged 25mpg, and their winning % was actually lower than 3 of the 4 previous years before Barnes was “running the point” for them.

I guess I “get” the choice over Suggs if the Raptors are keeping Kyle Lowry, I just think that it was startling last night to see how many “wings” got picked based on athleticism and then listen to the ESPN guys try to find polite ways to say “can’t shoot”.

2 Likes

I think Suggs vs Barnes is a “floor/ceiling” debate. I’m pretty sure Suggs will be a starting caliber player, not terribly optimistic about him being a star. Barnes is far more likely to fail for the reasons you state (I think his floor is, like, Torrey Craig or Royce O’Neal, so not completely useless, but pretty fringe), but if he can figure the shot out at all, you almost have Scottie Pippen. I’ll also just say that the Raptors have experience molding a similar lump of clay (but older) with Pascal Siakam. To me, the interesting thing here is that the pick would seem to indicate that the Raptors are steering into a rebuild.

It doesn’t sway me, but I acknowledge it matters to teams: apparently he’s a fantastic interview and everyone adores him. Schmitz made the comment that Barnes is the “best kid” he’s met in his job.

1 Like

Plumlee was never a long term option and while I think we overpaid a bit, he ended up performing well. Charlotte is trying to make the playoffs now and I think he’ll help them do that. I think we should have held onto him and traded him mid season and maybe got another pick out of it. But more playing time for Beef Stew.

2 Likes

Peak “Return of Bruno” era Bruce Willis.

“It’s wet and it’s dry!”

2 Likes

those bigs usually has a longer career than parameter guys, therefore much less spots available every year. I think that Hunter and Kofi will have a spot eventually but NIL will make college more enticing than being drafted the 2nd round.

1 Like

https://fb.watch/73PokPTTsO/

Surprised by Schmitz’s take here. Where did he have him on his board?

2 Likes

I think it depends on his sophomore year. if he makes 25 3s that’s something Kofi never demonstrated and will probably push him to leave.

CADE CUNNINGHAM AND ISAIAH LIVERS ARE DETROIT PISTONS

Someone pinch me. Woke up today thinking it was a dream.

8 Likes

He had him in the early 30s

1 Like

I’m not sure where he was on Schmitz’s overall board, but at the time he was picked by Detroit, he was #2 on his Best Available List.

There’s something off here. Shmitz has him at #49 at 1PM yesterday: NBA Draft 2021 Best Remaining Players - ESPN Draftcast

EDIT: I Guess page two was archived less frequently. So This was on the 27th

Foreshadowing?

In the video, he said “If he wasn’t injured I think we’d be talking about him in the 20s.” Having him 49 on his list yesterday was probably a factor of the injury.

2 Likes

I could be misremembering, but didn’t Livers start to get some late first round love in mocks before the injury? He has limited upside but I think he can play a role in the NBA. Not ridiculous to think he’d get first round consideration if his injury history wasn’t so extensive.

I truly believe Livers can play a somewhat similar role to what Saddiq Bey did last year. Bey basically couldn’t do anything off the dribble at all but was just an elite floor spacer with a super high IQ and the ultimate green light. Livers seems slower and I don’t know who he guards but I love the concept of Livers and Bey as spacers off ball with Cade and Killian playmaking

2 Likes

Here I am spending my day talking myself into Luka Garza again. I thought I was done with that nonsense.

(Begrudgingly whispers) there’s a place for Garza in the league

2 Likes

Yeah I think of Livers as a poor man’s Bey on the second unit. It’s clear the pistons wanted to address shooting and provide floor spacing for Cade and Killian in this draft.

6 Likes

He’s back on his Iowa bull**** again

6 Likes

I think it was still a good deal. Plums had a very good year here and he helped provide some leadership. However, I think Stew progressed a lot quicker than Troy (or anyone) expected. That allowed for Troy to shed the contract, which hopefully will help free up enough money to go after not one but two big time players next summer.

3 Likes

Garza was a great pick. Detroit needs backup center minutes after moving Plumlee. Most 2nd round picks don’t make it in the league, so why not take a flier on a guy with a proven offensive skillset and undeniable work ethic? If he can’t make it because of his defense, it’s not a big loss. If they can find a role for him, it’s a steal. Bassey was taken with the next pick and the knocks on him are he had some injuries, has to give it full effort every possession, and improve his shooting and defense. Sandro with the next pick also is aa questionable defender. Nothing about those two scream clear cut better option than Garza, who you know will work extremely hard to improve and fill whatever role he can.

6 Likes