2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Balsa Koprivica gives the Pistons another backup big. I honestly don’t remember him from the Michigan/FSU game.

1 Like

I’m getting picky cuz CADE

but keeping that pick in the 30s and taking one of Butler/Cooper/Ayo, then Livers at 42 and I guess Garza at 52 would have had me feeling a lot better. Kopravica seems totally pointless after you just drafted another slow center. It’s all gravy, but just an odd 2nd round.

4 Likes

My team TRADED UP to pick Bruno Fernando 34th a couple years ago and I was heated. Now he’s absolute b u t t.

2 Likes

I’m shocked we made 4 picks tonight. Weaver does A LOT of head-scratching stuff.

2 Likes

Luka’s size is irrelevant defensively because he’s so bad at it.

It’s a dice-roll, obviously, but you wonder what they’re rolling on, what’s the ideal scenario. Major development defensively to get him to “passably good enough” so that he can match up against bigs with zero offense? Off-the-bench change-up whose defensive liabilities are masked by lineups that score at ridiculous rates?

2 Likes

He probably was celebrating the Cade and Livers picks and forgot he had 2 more draft picks, so the remaining dudes in the front office just randomly screamed out names :wink: :joy:

10 Likes

I’m just learning that Garza’s not a good defender.

5 Likes

I don’t really see it too shocking. Livers before the draft felt like a perfect late 2nd round pick for Detroit. They need shooters and he’s a proven shooter not on a guaranteed contract.

They dumped Plumlee, so rolling the dice on two late picks on centers isn’t horrible. The trade value of late 2nd round picks isn’t great and they don’t have assets they are trying to move to combine it with. Garza and Balsa, and Livers for that matter, probably never make it in the NBA, but you’re getting two proven college guys who are going to compete their butts off to try to get there.

2 Likes

The Plumlee trade is odd at first glance, but we have to see how they use the cap space before determining whether Plumlee + 37th pick is better than whatever they fill the roster with

2 Likes

Yep this is pretty much following the exact same formula of last offseason where signing 9 centers made no sense but then after a bit some moves were made and it shook out really well. I’ve learned to be patient with Troy, but I was so amped up over Cade part of me thought the prize for moving down would come mid-draft with a bigger splash than LUKA GARZA AND BALSA KOPRAVICA at 1am ET.

6 Likes

I can see them signing a guy like Kanter for a year, lots of experience, can rebound, get some buckets. Good compliment to a guy like Stewart.

2 Likes
16 Likes

It’s pretty shocking considering Pistons haven’t drafted a Michigan player since 1987.

It’s been a pretty memorable night for me.

Pistons draft Cade Cunningham and don’t f it up.

Franz will be playing with Suggs at the Magic, Mo’s message was a nice moment.

Elated that Pistons drafted Livers.

Also, did Weaver just let Beilein do the drafting tonight? Cade, Livers, Garza, Kopravica sounds like something he’d do.

2 Likes

The Pistons used 1 of their 2 two-way contracts on Chris Smith from UCLA. So, I’m guessing maybe Garza gets the other one and Balsa signs in Europe and they stash him over there. That would mean that Livers would get maybe a 3 year deal, with 2 guaranteed at the league minimum? Or, maybe Garza gets a regular contract too and they get someone else to take the other 2-way. Either way, the Smith signing was good news because it probably means Livers is getting a regular 2nd round contract rather than a two-way deal that some sign.

5 Likes

They put Mo’s face on the Jumbotron when Franz got drafted :man_facepalming:

6 Likes
11 Likes

Lakers make a ton of sense for Chaundee. They also got Reaves and Ayayi on two ways which will probably be by far the best UDFA two way combo anyone gets. Adding Russ’ ridiculous contract puts them in need of lots of roster spots

6 Likes

I like what Warriors did. They need Kuminga to play a roll like young Dennis Rodman did for the Pistons. Play hard. Play D. Get loose balls. Rebound. Spell Draymond Green. Then Moody is a guy who can shoot, score, and is familiar with playing a role on a very talented roster.

In today’s NBA, I’m not sure Livers needs to guard threes, is all I will say.

I think Weiskamp has a broader skill range (he’s better with the ball in his hands by a considerable margin), but I’m not sure which if any of those broader skills will play in the NBA, whereas I’m pretty sure Isaiah will shoot the 3 better.

1 Like

He’s such an uncle. :joy:

13 Likes