2021 NBA Draft Discussion

People were not duped into taking that double credit course A380.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the thing, Michigan DOES have a ā€œsizeā€ class. I really donā€™t know the course number, but itā€™s generally known as ā€œCamp Sanderson.ā€ There may be several courses because itā€™s available to both undergrad and graduate level student athletes! I understand itā€™s really popular with the basketball players.

There is a similar course available to football players at Michigan. I donā€™t know the name of that course but itā€™s taught by Ben Herbert. I understand these courses really get dramatic results and the instructors have the photos to prove it! :wink::rofl:

2 Likes

ā€œToolsyā€ - Twice in one day. I will say that I have never seen Jonathan Givony and Mr. The Box and One in the same room at the same time.

Also, if Banton ā€œmakes itā€ in the NBA, it proves someoneā€™s point that certain NBA talent is not necessary evident in their college game.

Leading a team, even a bad one, in assists, rebounds and blocks is impressive.

5 Likes

Yeah Banton definitely pops when you watch him. He can pass and move. Remains to be seen if he can actually score. And heā€™s old for a sophomore, so the clockā€™s ticking.

1 Like

Banton obviously had great ball screen feel and size he just absolutely canā€™t shoot.

2 Likes

Still maintain he would have been fun to watch in a Michigan uniform

8 Likes

So how is he any different than Barnes? I havenā€™t watched a lick of Nebraska basketball.

I think someone like Chaundee is more likely to get drafted in the final few picks than someone like Zegarowski for instance. If youā€™re the Nets at 59 or a team like that, Brown is a guy who you can just plug in and ask to play some D and hit a 3 and you get him cheap for a few years.

Still seems odd Dosunmu isnā€™t going in the 20s.

1 Like

I think the question with Brown is how much of the ā€˜Dā€™ part of 3 and D theyā€™ll be getting. Testing numbers werenā€™t great for agility and there were often problems off ball in college. He has the dog in him for sure though.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think thatā€™s a hot take

1 Like

I agree on Donsumuā€¦I assumed he would be a top twenty guy. Good size, good playmaker, solid shooter, still youngā€¦

1 Like

I think a problem with him is heā€™s a ball dominant guard and how his game translate off the ball or being a true PG is an issue for Ayo.

1 Like

Yeah heā€™s a guy with a shot thatā€™s below NBA average right now and he clearly doesnā€™t have wing size. So heā€™s going to have to have the ball in his hands and be an offensive engine to create value for NBA teams. Itā€™s not completely impossible he gets there but he only has that one path and there are a lot of young guys w/ better looking trajectories or old guys whoā€™ve proven they have a valuable NBA level skill or two.

Like, compare him to Bones. Fairly similar in size. Bones is a lot skinnier, but has a better reach. Neither is really plausible as a wing. But Bones has a good steal rate, made 83% of his FTs (NBA average is 80%), and is a year younger. A lot of model-informed NBA teams will see that and say heā€™s farther along than Ayo was at the same age and already has at least one NBA-level skill w/ his shooting.

1 Like

Thatā€™s insightfulā€¦good point. I just look at Ayo as being a ball dominant guy in a league that likes that and think he can be a guy who leads your second unit. Heā€™s 6-5, shot 39% from three and 78% from the line, averaged more than 6 boards, and played in the best league.

I get that heā€™s a little older and has some limitationsā€¦but is he really that much behind Davien Mitchell (lottery lock), James Bouknight (fringe lottery) or Cam Thomas (mid/late first)? I guess we will see.

1 Like

I think Bones has a better chance of having a career in the NBA than Ayo because he can play off the ball and can shoot. Heā€™s skinny though. Would love to have him in Detroit if Weaver trades up into late 1st for him to pair him with Cade and Killian. Heā€™d be a nice fit for them as a combo G who can handle and shoot. Cade and Killian has the size to guard bigger G so itā€™s not a big deal IMO.

1 Like

He reminds me a lot of Dennis Schroeder

1 Like
6 Likes

Really interesting read there. I basically have no way of knowing how right that argument is, but it was convincing enough for me. The big thing about Franz is that, for a wing, he just doesnā€™t have many holes in his game on either end of the court, other than (maybe?) shooting.

Iā€™m obviously biased toward Franz though, so I could be wrong.

3 Likes
5 Likes