2021 NBA Draft Discussion

1 Like
2 Likes

Weā€™re really going to miss these guys!

4 Likes

Hard to watch those Livers highlights. Want it so bad for him in the NBA. Brutal end to his brilliant career here.

8 Likes

Note how many of Liversā€™ threes were well behind the college line, i.e. the NBA line shouldnā€™t effect him much.

4 Likes

Itā€™s really hard for me to even read about Livers nowadays.

5 Likes

Franz checking in at #7.

8 Likes

Also has Livers at 54

8 Likes

Pistons picking out of top 4-5 would be a disaster for the Pistons. Luckily, they lost(won) in an important game against the Wolves. I think a loss would clinch them a #5 overall pick at worst but we need them to lose to Denver and Miami to clinch the bottom 3 odds. I want Cade the worst way for the Pistons.

3 Likes

My board would look completely different than most mocks or ranking Iā€™m seeing. The guys ranked in the 8-20 range seem too high for me in most mocks and guys going late 1st to early second are too low.

Guys like Todd, Cooper, Christopher ,sharpe, Shannon, Thomas, Boston ect. Iā€™d all take higher than projected.

This is a draft Iā€™d try and pick 3-4 times if I was a young team. Crazy depth.

I like some of the guys you referenced there, but I would add Kai Jones. Seems like the kind of guy with the right traits who wasnā€™t in an ideal college situation to showcase his abilities. Youā€™re probably not getting a star outside of the lottery, but if thereā€™s one in this draft, I think itā€™s Jones.

I donā€™t necessarily agree with this statement, but the narrative out there that this is a 5 person draft is really dumb.

I think thereā€™s a drop off after the Top 4. Then another drop off in the early second round. Between those two points, thereā€™s not as much separation between prospects.

If Iā€™m drafting early second round Iā€™m pretty excited because some high upside players are going to drop.

:dart: Thereā€™s a significant drop off after top 4-5 depending on how teams view Kuminga which is why Pistons fans all want them to get bottom 3 or at least clinch the 2nd worst record to guarantee themselves a #5 overall pick.

1 Like

2nd worst (which is our best case scenario now) would still have an opportunity to fall to pick #6. The lottery recently switched to drawing picks 1-4.

Speaking of thisā€¦ Has the NBA changes to the draft lottery accomplished anything? Feels like tanking has only accelerated (but now better teams are gonna get those top picks).

Iā€™d say between the lotto changes and the play in there were fewer teams trying to tank this year than normal. The only teams outright tanking heading into the season were the Pistons, Thunder, Cavs. In-season Rockets obviously crashed that party. But if youā€™re gonna be bad it will always be beneficial to be the worst team as opposed to the 4th worst team so that incentive will always be there in some ways

1 Like

I donā€™t know. I definitely disagree with this. I feel like more teams were openly tanking than usual. Did you see the lineups some of these teams were putting out at the end of the year? Rockets, Pistons, Thunder, Magic and Cavs all had quite a few guys sitting out for bogus reasons like rest or soreness for the last two months. No one was even pretending they were trying to win.

I think giving the third worst team the best odds at the #1 pick incentivized even more teams to openly tank. Most of those teams knew they were never catching Houston, but they didnā€™t need to in order to have the best odds at #1. There are 1-2 games separating teams #2-6 so there are a lot of teams that could end up in that top 3, and if youā€™re 3rd you donā€™t need to be the worst to get the most lottery balls. I feel like most years the 5th or 6th worst teams arenā€™t blatantly obviously tanking.

1 Like

This is nitpicky but I feel like the players are almost always trying to win. Thatā€™s certainly been the case with the Pistons. Management is the one whoā€™s keeping guys out. As far as tanking goes, I like what the Pistons have done (for the most part) by keeping their rookies and young players going. It may have cost them in the race for the bottom with Houston but I think it may pay off in the long run.

Regarding the bottom teams, OKC has the worst active roster that I can ever recall. SGA, whoā€™s still only 22, was expected back about a month ago but they shelved him. They were 16-19 with him this season, so they were somewhat in the mix for a while before they did their nosedive. They shelved Al Horford too, back in March.

Aside from Lugenz Dort, whoā€™s been in and out of the line-up for the last several weeks, Iā€™m not sure they are playing anyone who they expect to be around two seasons from now. I guess they have hopes for Poku but heā€™s far from being a good player right now.
This is the one team that Iā€™m sure would lose to the G-League Elite team. I believe I read that over the last 25 games, theyā€™ve been outscored by 490 points. This is a new record over that kind of stretch.

If the basketball gods are being fair, they should smile for once on the Pistons for tanking the right way (playing young guys and staying in most games) and let OKC dropā€¦but not so they take Franz.

1 Like