2020 Transfer Market

I think all those teams will be good, but I’m not sure there’s a Final Four team among them. Michigan, if it finds a point guard and Todd and Christopher both come, has intriguing upside. MSU will lose Winston, and I think Tillman is gone too. Their season will depend on how good their freshman PG is, IMO. To me, assuming Wesson leaves, Carton is the whole key for OSU. He has star potential.

Next year, I think, will be a time when the blue bloods go back to being the blue bloods, as UNC, UK, and Duke all have great and deep classes coming in.

You don’t think Iowa will be contenders if they get Garza, Wieskamp, Touissant, Bohannon, both Maccaffery bro’s (the freshman was redshirted) and basically the entire team back? I think that team could be phenomenal. They should’ve had a share this year.

Wisconsin as well. Bowman, Carlson, Crowl and Johnny Davis could all be very good.

I am super high on OSU’s roster for next year. I’ve seen most those prospects as high schoolers first hand scouting them. A lot of those guys have major upside. Carton has the most obviously. Him coming back is huge for their potential success.

I’ll never count out Purdue with Painter or MSU with Izzo. Painter has a talented crop of freshman coming in. Tre Williams will be one of the top post players next year in the BIG and Painter is obviously a great coach.

Illinois should be stacked if everyone besides Ayo comes back. Adam Miller and Curbelo are studs. One is a scorer, one is a true PG.

Michigan will have as much talent as all them if Christopher comes but they will be less experienced than these other teams. If Towns goes to OSU and Aiken goes to a Big Ten team, things will get even more interesting next year.

1 Like

Iowa has some great offensive talent but they can never guard anyone.

I think all those teams will be in the top 15-25 range, with maybe a top 10 team among them (not unlike this year).

We’ll see, you could definitely be right on OSU. I don’t love Holtmann as much as some - I think he’s good, but I don’t find them to be a particularly good offensive team, and that’s with Caleb Wesson. I’m curious to see how they play without him.

As far as Michigan, I’d put Livers and Wagner up against any pair of 3/4s in the Big Ten, and I think Brooks will be a really nice senior to have on the team next year. Add in a couple really talented freshmen and who knows, as long as they find a solution at PG.

I personally don’t unless they at least try to play defense. But any team anchored by garza will have massive limitations on that end. They’ll be top 20 good for sure. But not a national title contender from my eyes

I think this is a key point. OSU is a team full of good secondary pieces. Wesson presumably not being in the mix means somebody has to step up. Carton seems to be that piece but there is a ton of variables there. Like the team, but they do seem like a team that could be where the sum is less than the parts.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Report: Michigan pursuing Columbia grad transfer Mike Smith

Top Grad Transfers:
1.Seth Towns
2.Bryce Aiken
4.Mike Smith

2 Likes

I can’t help but think ddj might be gone. Sucks , I really think he has another gear he can get to and could really put the ball in the hole

I think it’s an assumption that Eli can be the starting PG. I sure hope he can, but he’s turned it over in the past if pressured bringing the ball up. If Christopher comes, it could very well be the case that Eli projects as a third guard.

1 Like

Whoa. That’s wild. I assume he wants to go closer to home? Maybe Iowa or Iowa State?

3 Likes

Feel like this was the most telegraphed transfer in history. Why is it wild?

Closer to home definitely makes sense here.

2 Likes

Because he sat out for health related reasons, not that he didn’t like OSU. He was still hyping up OSU on social media during the season. Obviously he would start and play 30+ minutes next year so it doesn’t have much to do with basketball. I get it if the mental health aspect of being away from home was too great though.

Plus, if it was that obvious he could have transferred right away and may have been eligible for second semester next year. Although if he transfers close to home, he may get that hardship waiver anyways.

5 Likes

Leaving a team in the middle of the year for mental health reasons seems to signal that a kid isn’t happy with where he’s at. I believe he was back at home during the season as well.

Have to imagine the Hawkeyes are in the middle of this one… Iowa could be scary with Carton, Fredrick, Garza, Wieskamp, Bohannon, McCaffery. Dunno if they’ll play defense but damn they’ll be talented.

2 Likes

would garza actually stay for next year?

I know Bohannon is pretty Iowa through and through but you have to wonder if carton goes there if he grad transfers. Id certainly love to have him on UMs roster.

I could see Bohannon grad transferring but if he did I would imagine it would be to a blue blood situation in another conference rather than in the Big Ten. Just a pure guess though.

Illinois and Northwestern could be teams in play too. He’s from Bettendorf which is only 3 hours away from Northwestern.

How good is Bohannan going to be next year? Spike was a shell of himself after his hip surgeries, granted he had 2 and Bohannans only had 1 from what I know