2020 Recruiting Notes

New 2020 recruiting rankings from ESPN:

Todd (13), Dickinson (36), Zeb (71), Williams (79)… Christopher 10th.

8 Likes

So if Michigan lands a six person class (Zeb, Todd, Dickinson, Williams, Christopher, Brown), we would need to shed two players from the current roster?

I honestly just wouldn’t really worry about scholarship numbers right now. Think there will be plenty of press releases in April.

4 Likes

I mean I’m thinking Austin, nunez, and Cole aren’t looking good.

Sad to think cole would give up already but if he’s sitting behind former managers who looked an awful like me and some of my friends at the the local Y on a Wednesday night combined with additions of zeb and possibly someone like Christopher and you gotta think he doesn’t see a pathway to minutes for at least another year after this one. If they add someone like josh he’d be the 5th guard on the depth chart. Third out of our pure sg but considering zeb and ddj can both play sg and are really combo guards and I bet he doesn’t feel good.

Not to knock the kid or write him off already but I wasn’t as high on him as everyone else on the board and was pretty shocked he was ranked in the top 75 by the end of last year. He had a nice game but he was playing a really low level of competition . Really really soft competition imo so I found it hard to give him that much credit or get a read on what he’d do versus d 1 talent let alone high major competition.

To his credit he has looked nice in scrub time and made some plays so maybe he’s a gamer and not a practice guy as much like say Nunez might be?

There are kids who step up in the moment. That’s why I wanted to insert him versus Nebraska as opposed to the walk on (name escaping me) as you knew for sure he wasn’t going to provide anything but a body and was no threat to shoot or make a move.

Keep in mind that Xavier, Virginia, Washington and Oregon State also offered Bajema. But the biggest difference between then and now (as you point out) is the number of instant impact players that seem to be heading Michigan’s way under coach Howard.

I hope he stays and also hope he stays in town to bulk up and get better.

2 Likes

Forgot Howard

2 Likes

Oh I know he was highly ranked, I noted that. I just didn’t see it. I started to come around slightly on the last film I saw but I mostly kept my mouth shut because everyone was adamant he was smooth and the real deal. I felt like I was the only one not totally seeing it so I kept quiet thinking the masses eyes must be better than mine.

I’m hoping he turns it around here and works out .

1 Like

In comparison I actually like girards game equally if not more than coles because I had seen giarard be a go to scorer/ ball handler on an elite EYBL team. I trusted him more because he had been dominat for so long on a very crappy upstate league granted, but I saw him do it at the highest level too so it felt safer.

Girard was very odd because he went from overrated two years ago (80-130 range) to underrated as he dropped into the 300s. Was very odd drop off to me.

Yes, if everyone with eligibility remaining is interested in returning next season AND if Michigan ends up with a 6-man recruiting class … the Wolverines would be 2 players above the max scholarship limit.

But, as Dylan pointed out, there is likely to be attrition in one (or both) of those ends of the equation. When there are coaching changes – especially when the new coach was not promoted from within the previous coaching staff – there almost always is a significant transfer activity…and I’m somewhat surprised at the lack of transfers prior to the start of the season and during the semester break.

1 Like

I kinda assume Bajema chose Michigan because of Beilein’s reputation for developing players. As such, he probably didn’t expect to play right away either. Based on feedback recently (including this thread), Howard is considered a good developer of talent and a good game coach (rookie mistakes notwithstanding). So, I don’t get all of the takes on him being disappointed and expecting to bail due to superior talent coming in. That assumes he isn’t developing and cannot compete with top talent with a year head start. I get the thought process, I just don’t agree. The only way I see Bajema leaving is if Howard recommends it to him as his best path to success. Give the kid some credit.

5 Likes

He hung 30 on Howard pulley. That’s prolly what sealed the deal high-major-wise.

Who knows, I could definitely have been wrong and I’m rooting for that to be the case. He comes in and hits every shot he takes. granted its with no pressure and game in hand, but he still hits them. maybe he is a gamer and becomes the real deal.

1 Like

Someone on mgoblog created this for fun. List of UM recruits dating back to Fab Five.

With a couple of scholarships available, does Juwan circle back to Zaire Wade now?

I wouldn’t think so.

This is pretty good, though Traylor was a top 5 guy and Bobby Crawford was a McDonalds All American.

I wonder if this could be one to watch

an Illinois kid that theres been rumors about reclassifying to 2020

The problem with most reclass players is they usually aren’t that ready for the next level. The elites are but more times than not mid level 4 stars normally are not ready. Guys like Moussa Diabate, Jaden Hardy, Moussa Cisse, those types usually can make the jump. Weston would be a pretty high risk. Not saying it wouldn’t work out but the chances of it not working out are higher.

1 Like

Hopefully he’s considering reclassifying to go to Illinois after Adam Miller flips to Michigan :laughing:

4 Likes

Maybe that’s OK for Michigan’s current situation. Like a sit one transfer with a decent upside. Hopefully Bajema is ready to contribute next season. If not, maybe Weston adds some immediate value.

1 Like